People behind the plate calling out where the catcher is set up.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
That push back chatter ...is an example of how whether there's a rule set written down or whether there's one umpire or another person who considers themselves an Umpire or yada yada...
there are simply different perspectives people take on how to control a situation.
Rule book or not....
Tournament director or not....

Umpires can walk off,
And have!
That's their extreme control they have!

Numerous times have witnessed umpires telling coaches to control the stands. I've never needed to see what the rule book says about that and I don't care if there is a rule standing on that.
Have watched umpires tell coaches that the coach is going to be thrown out of the game if they don't control the bleachers.
Is that in the rule book? I don't care.

I have witnessed umpire's controlling situations and I am thankful for their Backbone in doing so! 👍🏆

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
I have witnessed umpire's controlling situations and I am thankful for their Backbone in doing so! 👍🏆
Add
Also thankful for coaches who hold standards of Integrity for their players and teams/families!
That take some time to communicate to everybody about integrity and sportsmanship.

Including the coaches who when incidental crud starts happening they step up to resolve it before it becomes a further issue. 👍🏆

Sep 19, 2018
I've come across it 4 times now. 2 times in 12U, once almost resulting in a fist fight. Then once is 14u and now in my dd short 3 weeks in 16U.

It is crappy. As has been said, anyone in the game, I am all for stealing signs. For a parent or spectator to insert themselves like that, yuck

Apr 1, 2017
I've mentioned this before, but in all the crap that was covid, one great thing about playing in summer of 2020 was many of the fields/tournaments we played eliminated fans from behind the dugouts and in between. I'm sure it had little to no impact in "stopping the spread", but it made for a more pleasant experience for the teams (or at least me).

Apr 1, 2017
Had one game when my son was playing 14u baseball. Parent in the stand could either see the signs or the grip the pitcher had on the ball, and would yell out "curve" during the windup. The person was correct too, so not just someone yelling to yell. I don't know if there is an official rule for the ump to use, but after a handful of times, he turned around and said "no more", and it stopped.

Jun 22, 2008
Why do you keep over generalizing his statements? He didn't say yelling "things", he said "If you are consistently yelling specific instructional information intended to benefit your team in specific situations, then you are coaching."

And he is correct so I'm not sure why you continue to put words in his mouth and ignore the specificity of his statements. Time for you to address his specific statement. Then it's a discussion.
I have addressed it, umpires have no authority over spectators. People yell specific instructions all the time, that does not magically make them coaches. And if it did make them coaches, how does it somehow not become coaching if it is their own child? And I ask again, how exactly do you determine what spectator belongs to which child?

This post started about someone complaining about people in stands yelling out catcher positioning. There is NOTHING the umpire has authority over to stop it. The umpires authority is over the playing field between the fences. It begins when they enter the field and it ends when they leave. Anything outside of that area, with the exception of "coaches" being outside the dugout is the responsibility of the tournament directors or site administrator. Coaches are actual members of the team, spectators are not coaches.

May 20, 2015
I've mentioned this before, but in all the crap that was covid, one great thing about playing in summer of 2020 was many of the fields/tournaments we played eliminated fans from behind the dugouts and in between. I'm sure it had little to no impact in "stopping the spread", but it made for a more pleasant experience for the teams (or at least me).

said this over and over......those were the best games to coach, other than the fact that we played the same handful of teams over and over......

Dec 6, 2019
I have addressed it, umpires have no authority over spectators. People yell specific instructions all the time, that does not magically make them coaches. And if it did make them coaches, how does it somehow not become coaching if it is their own child? And I ask again, how exactly do you determine what spectator belongs to which child?

This post started about someone complaining about people in stands yelling out catcher positioning. There is NOTHING the umpire has authority over to stop it. The umpires authority is over the playing field between the fences. It begins when they enter the field and it ends when they leave. Anything outside of that area, with the exception of "coaches" being outside the dugout is the responsibility of the tournament directors or site administrator. Coaches are actual members of the team, spectators are not coaches.
I will fully admit to not be versed in every rule in the book. I know I have seen umpires eject spectators numerous times over the years. You're saying they actually have no authority to do this? I sure hope that's not the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sav19821920