Overhand throwing velocity. What is the highest you have ever seen recorded?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
Mid 60s is what I would consider normal and necessary for a high level college recruit 70+ is exceptional! On our team last year of all division 1 commits and/or recruits we had 1 kid that threw 72…she was a MI but she had a slow transition and long throwing motion so our SS who was 64 actually usually delivered more outs due faster hands with a quicker release. The rest of our players all fell in that same range 60-68.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
so our SS who was 64 actually usually delivered more outs due faster hands with a quicker release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and who might this fundamentally sound SS be? You don't have to work your kid into every single post..

Feb 1, 2022
Hard to believe that a 2027 is throwing mid-70s.

We attended a PGF Metrics event down in Florida before a tourney in February where they measured overhand throw. I'm sure there's some wiggle room on the radar gun, but my daughter (a 2026) clocked in at 62 mph. Just went back and looked at the entire list which includes any PGF testing around the country this year and fastest was a 2024 at 70 mph.

Jun 8, 2016
It isn't if you have seen her in person. If anybody throws that hard it is her. I have no idea what the actual number is but she has a gun. She throws the ball properly...that helps. She was playing for (and batting 4th) 18U IPF Dickel before she got injured this summer.

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
People who train for the overhand throw can see 74+.. It is such a fake throw.. Imagine running, turning your back to the target and then spinning and chucking it wildly. Think shot put or javelin.

Functional throws, like ones you'd see in a game, 66 and above is really good.

Oct 4, 2018

We attended a PGF Metrics event down in Florida before a tourney in February where they measured overhand throw. I'm sure there's some wiggle room on the radar gun, but my daughter (a 2026) clocked in at 62 mph. Just went back and looked at the entire list which includes any PGF testing around the country this year and fastest was a 2024 at 70 mph.

It certainly is easy to put almost anything into those write-ups...

Jun 8, 2016
74 mph over hand speed should have better pop times than 1.8. She sound like a stud but there is room to improve those pop times. She "picks and throws." RAD student??? LOL
I think she is a better 3B than C...I don't think she will catch at the next level but I could be wrong. She didn't catch much for the IPF Dickel team. I think the main reason is she hits too well and seems to get beat up catching..lol.

I mean, it ain't my kid. If she throws 54 and the writeup was exaggerated so be it :ROFLMAO: . I've seen her play and I would like to think I know a good arm when I see one and she has one..

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Maybe someone could throw 84 mph. I don't want to say it's impossible.

But that someone is not a "local girl" that nobody has ever heard of.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma