Org Tryouts - Selection Process

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Funny story. Thought DD was going to a tryout for a certain team. When we get there it is an org. tryout. About 120 12u players. Hard to tell who was rostered and who wasn't. So at the end DD says coach (not the team we thought we were trying out for) wants to talk to you. So as this is happening two moms that have DD that are rostered on the team strike up conversation with my wife saying "we saw your daughter tryout and she really good and really hope you guys accept the offer and how good the coach is and blah blah blah." Coach says he would like everybody to come back tomorrow (Sunday) for a practice. We had another tryout scheduled on that Sunday and I knew this was not the right team for DD. We go to the tryout on Sunday and guess who is there. That right, the two moms. My wife walk right up to them and said "hey guys , I thought you......?"

Oct 4, 2018
Funny story. Thought DD was going to a tryout for a certain team. When we get there it is an org. tryout. About 120 12u players. Hard to tell who was rostered and who wasn't. So at the end DD says coach (not the team we thought we were trying out for) wants to talk to you. So as this is happening two moms that have DD that are rostered on the team strike up conversation with my wife saying "we saw your daughter tryout and she really good and really hope you guys accept the offer and how good the coach is and blah blah blah." Coach says he would like everybody to come back tomorrow (Sunday) for a practice. We had another tryout scheduled on that Sunday and I knew this was not the right team for DD. We go to the tryout on Sunday and guess who is there. That right, the two moms. My wife walk right up to them and said "hey guys , I thought you......?"

How did they explain that?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
How did they explain that?
"Oh yeah, we are on that team but we thought we should keep all option open because you never know what's going to happen, blah blah blah. "
The Sunday tryout was for a very good team that neither of their DDs had any chance of making.
Currently there is no less than 25 12u or 14u teams to tryout for on any given Sat or Sunday in So Cal. Some cities are issuing field permits for practice only and tryout mania is in full tilt boogie.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
"Oh yeah, we are on that team but we thought we should keep all option open because you never know what's going to happen, blah blah blah. "
The Sunday tryout was for a very good team that neither of their DDs had any chance of making.
Currently there is no less than 25 12u or 14u teams to tryout for on any given Sat or Sunday in So Cal. Some cities are issuing field permits for practice only and tryout mania is in full tilt boogie.

Yeah these past two weekends have been bonkers with the try out ads.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Thank GOD that's all in the rear-view mirror. Went to an org "cattle-call" tryout some six years ago. Never again. The only "tryouts' I'll do are open practices with a specific team or, more preferably, guest play during a tournament. Mass tryouts are often good at identifying the most athletic, but not so good at identifying those who can actually play. Worse, unless you already know which team you're going to and how your DD fits, it's crap shoot as to whether you'll be on a viable team or your DD's role. That's a big reason so many come here to vent their frustrations.

Jun 16, 2010
Im so glad im done with it
We stayed with one organization
But witnesed the stress of others looking for teams to fit into. And experienced the anxiety of getting DD good instruction and exposure.

Its not as complicated as people selling you stuff make it. (Camps, videos, services). The cream rises to top......always gets noticed.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
"Full tilt boogie!" 👍

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes