Org Tryouts - Selection Process

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Thank GOD that's all in the rear-view mirror. Went to an org "cattle-call" tryout some six years ago. Never again. The only "tryouts' I'll do are open practices with a specific team or, more preferably, guest play during a tournament. Mass tryouts are often good at identifying the most athletic, but not so good at identifying those who can actually play. Worse, unless you already know which team you're going to and how your DD fits, it's crap shoot as to whether you'll be on a viable team or your DD's role. That's a big reason so many come here to vent their frustrations.
My DD—second year 14U—switched teams this summer for first time in four years. Was just time. We took this more targeted approach—having done research for months before hand—and ended up with a good team and a good org. Guest playing sealed the deal for both sides. Very important to understand how your DD will fit in, what role she would play. Hard to get that from a cattle call. Do your homework and ask the right questions of the prospective head coach.

May 27, 2013
IME, the better orgs at the older age groups typically already have their teams picked for the next season by the time tryouts come around. The ”tryouts” are to see if that one unicorn comes along out of nowhere - which almost never happens.

If you know your dd wants to leave her current team or get on a better team before her current season is over, my recommendation is to reach out to those other teams well before the season is over and set up a private tryout, avoiding the cattle calls when tryout season rolls around.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Back in the 14U days, DD hit the tryout circuit. One of the tryouts there were girls lined up down the 1st base and 3rd base line throwing. Wow. There are a bunch kids here and they look good! I told a dad sitting next to me, that I could take the kids that this coach didn't want and compete immediately. At the end of the work out, the coaches called out some names and said if your name was not called, thank you for coming out. There were girls that didn't get the call out with the organization's practice shirt on crying as they left the field.

The girls that got called out all met in CF with the coaches. Once I saw who was called out, I figure out what just happened. These were players from darn good 12U team that folded. Many of the players are playing D1 ball now. You will love this. All those girls got offers, but tryout season wasn't over. A bunch of those girls ended up going to another organization! The first organization did not even field a 14u team that year!!! Can you believe that! They shot themselves in the foot before their tryout was even over. They could have fielded 2 very good teams with the players that came out.

May 6, 2015
Thank GOD that's all in the rear-view mirror. Went to an org "cattle-call" tryout some six years ago. Never again. The only "tryouts' I'll do are open practices with a specific team or, more preferably, guest play during a tournament. Mass tryouts are often good at identifying the most athletic, but not so good at identifying those who can actually play. Worse, unless you already know which team you're going to and how your DD fits, it's crap shoot as to whether you'll be on a viable team or your DD's role. That's a big reason so many come here to vent their frustrations.

yeah, pretty much the same, we did do one strictly tryout, but it was for team that DD had played for the HC (he was AC at the time) before, and it was pretty much a given he was offering her a spot, but they wanted her at at least one tryout so there could be no grumbling (and I get it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad