Org Tryouts - Selection Process

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
We have org tryouts next weekend. How does the player selection process typically work? All Coaches will be in attendance, and I'm sure in some cases they will want the same player.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Assuming you have more than one team per age division: The more competitive team has dibs! But parents have first right of refusal. Your DD will be trying out for Glory Shelton, Glory Adkins, American Freedom since you are in Allen. Am I close?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Am I close?
:) are you throwing darts 🎯

At times when there are multiple players & coaches at cattle call org tryouts...
Sometimes at those multi team tryouts you cant see what the team will look like you may get picked for. Even not know which coach will be yours. Perhaps know what they look like but they may not be running the tryout.
So may not be able to gather an overall first impression of the team you may be on.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
:) are you throwing darts 🎯

At times when there are multiple players & coaches at cattle call org tryouts...
Sometimes at those multi team tryouts you cant see what the team will look like you may get picked for. Even not know which coach will be yours. Perhaps know what they look like but they may not be running the tryout.
So may not be able to gather an overall first impression of the team you may be on.
This happened to DD in 8th grade. We made a team, but wasn't sure for which team, who was coaching, and who were the players. Turned out we ended up on team that just moved up from 12U into 14U from another scrub org. That was a very valuable learning year. We stuck it out for the entire year. A bunch of those kids didn't last the year, since the team had bigger goals than than the kids did. By the end of the summer, we had a pretty decent team but the manager did not secure those players and they scattered. Made a real good dad friend from that team and just attended his oldest DD's wedding this weekend. The allergies were kickin' in.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
This happened to DD in 8th grade. We made a team, but wasn't sure for which team, who was coaching, and who were the players. Turned out we ended up on team that just moved up from 12U into 14U from another scrub org. That was a very valuable learning year. We stuck it out for the entire year. A bunch of those kids didn't last the year, since the team had bigger goals than than the kids did. By the end of the summer, we had a pretty decent team but the manager did not secure those players and they scattered. Made a real good dad friend from that team and just attended his oldest DD's wedding this weekend. The allergies were kickin' in.

I think this is the issue. Who goes where (for org, coaches, and parents).

To me org tryouts would be best if any player that had interest from Coach(es) received an offer to attend practice/workouts from the Coaches interested.

I guess I am interested in understanding how medium/big orgs handle the distribution, the communication, and "match-making".

Jul 14, 2018
DD’s org unexpectedly had all players return and every offer they made was accepted, so they found themselves with enough players for two teams at 14U. The org would rather have two evenly-matched teams than an A and a B team.

Their plan is to have a practice with all the players and then let the coaches figure out how to split them up. Not sure how I feel about it, but we’ll see how they set it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2015
That's generally a recipe for 2 mediocre teams that turn into no teams for the next season.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
DD’s org unexpectedly had all players return and every offer they made was accepted, so they found themselves with enough players for two teams at 14U. The org would rather have two evenly-matched teams than an A and a B team.

Their plan is to have a practice with all the players and then let the coaches figure out how to split them up. Not sure how I feel about it, but we’ll see how they set it up.

My suggestion would be to keep all the returning players together. unless they are a mix of birth years, then do it by birth years

Apr 26, 2015
DD went to an org tryout a couple weeks ago. 16s/18s. There were 2 16s teams (A and Gold) and one 18s (Gold). One of the 16s coaches had reached out to DD before the tryout and invited her to his team (her current coach had just announced he would no longer be coaching - so no player poaching was going on) but she had declined. She knew she wanted to play 18s (she is still 16U eligible and a junior in HS but there are no seniors at her HS and she is the only player who will have played varsity all 3 years so she knew she wanted this one opportunity to play with older girls - we play Fall HS ball). There were 100 girls at the tryout. She did not know the 18s coach - only the reputation of his team.

She killed it. All with a huge smile on her face. The coach asked the 16U coach why she was smiling when running the bases and he just said "cause that's who she is". The 18s coach made one offer that night - to DD. I don't think she has stopped smiling since. She knows she has a lot to live up to - but challenges are what make her tick. She cannot wait to play!

I think for the most part these big orgs know who is coming and already have their teams decided - but every once in a while a player shows up and makes them take notice. DD loved going in with everything to prove and nothing to lose!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06