Opinion on the EH position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2012
Texas
So this year there are several leagues that have approved the EH(extra hitter) batter. What are some of your coaches opinion on it?

We have several teams use it against us we didn't like it it turns the game into a 10 on 9 style in my opinion. Granted this past weekend we use it because if it part of the game now why not use it right?

Apr 22, 2015
N.C., USA
Only thing is in most cases an extra hitter makes someone be hitting that would not be otherwise... I think it may help the team with fewer players. Better players at the top get more at bats.

Feb 3, 2011
Use EH in pool play, but bat 9 in bracket. I can't think of a single instance ever where batting 10 or more would've been a benefit to the team vs batting only 9.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Depends on how good your hitters are. If you have five quality hitters then the sooner you can get back to them the better off you'll be. If your 6-8 hitters could be someone else's 3-5, and your extra hitter(s) could be top of the lineup for someone else, it's a great way to get more kids involved in the game, and to give your starters some time off the field without losing their bats in the lineup.

It also gives you more options defensively.

May 17, 2012
Use EH in pool play, but bat 9 in bracket. I can't think of a single instance ever where batting 10 or more would've been a benefit to the team vs batting only 9.

If we get into the losers bracket *early* I use multiple EH's. If we are going home early it will be a team effort.

In order for that to happen we probably stunk in pool play and stunk in our first bracket play game so no need to hit 9.

Now if we lose the last game of the winners bracket to drop down to the losers (win one more to get back to championship) I will hit 9.

Jun 11, 2013
The only benefit to bat 10 besides getting more hitters is if you have a great hitter that can't play anywhere. Otherwise you want to turn your lineup over quicker.

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
its nice also if you have a good hitting positon player..say catcher and you want to give her a break in the field but want her bat in the line up or a pitcher that can hit but isn't playing in the field. in rec play its nice because you can get another girl in the line up that might be a liability in the field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12