Only Two Pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I had a coach of a team with only two pitchers ask me if I thought it was better to split each pool play game or go with a full game each then split the third game. One of the pitchers is definitely stronger than the other,

Jun 20, 2015
I'd have both arms ready both games. Pitcher #1 starts game #1, P2 #2. with both ready to come in for relief duty as needed.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I should have added that he was asking the question in terms of what would be easier on the pitchers physically, to pitch half of three games vs all of one then coming back for half of the third. He realizes that with the weaker pitcher going in all three games he could lose them all whereas he has a much better chance of winning one with his ace going the whole game. This is 12U B level.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
based on the OP I'd pitch strongest pitcher game 1 and hopefully she has short work/ low inning/low pitch count and weaker pitcher game 2 and start the lower of the 2 pitch counts for game 3 and split those innings. Is there game breaks between games? I think that also factors in slightly, to the decision. But then my thoughts all change based on the competition. If you know game 2 is against a weaker team and P1 can dominate that game then pitch her there and get in/out of it with a low pitch count.

Sep 13, 2021
If it's a good hitting team that scores runs, I'd give the second pitcher a lot of innings against teams with weaker pitching and save the better pitcher for the games you need a better pitcher to win/have a chance to win.

Sep 19, 2018
I think it is easier to pitch a whole game then a break and the slight warm up and pitch 1/2 of another.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
What's the time limit? What's a "full game" even mean?

Some of these 75-minute games are really 3-4 inning games at the 12U B level.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
What's the time limit? What's a "full game" even mean?

Some of these 75-minute games are really 3-4 inning games at the 12U B level.
This is the most likely scenario, 4 innings at the most, but at this level that can still mean a lot of pitches. Typically it's back to back games then a one game break before the thrid game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl