Oklahoma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I wish this was posted this in the "Technical Hitting" section as there is nothing practical in the video.
That should have been a 2 minute video not 12 minutes.
That should have been a 2 minute video not 12 minutes. Had a very difficult time listening to that person just ramble on about nothing.

Going to let you all in on a real secret. Oklahoma hits better than the rest of teams because they are bigger, stronger and more athletic than the rest of the teams. Oh, they are also working their tails off to be bigger, stronger and faster. Oklahoma recruits very well, they get top level transfers players. Not that I know personally but they probably have some pretty good coaches.
I agree that video is too long. Kind of like Antonelli's videos'. Doesn't mean that there is not good stuff in them. I think people want to discount Gasso and her son's coaching. I have listen to JT talk hitting and he is deep. He is still open to learning. He is not a " I have already forgot more about hitting than you will ever know" type guy. They are very focused on the mental approach to hitting too. All the player have to read books about the mental game. Very progressive coaching, not stuck in the mud old school garbage.

May 11, 2014
Can you explain "old school garbage", I know Husband has said in the past that what he teaches is not new. Husband uses new technology but I believe the swing is old old school unless he has changed

Apr 14, 2022
I enjoyed the video. Kind of repetitive.
I will say I am unsure softball having more force at impact. The momentum is about the same and KE is lower. Might have to do with impact characteristics?
For launch angle do people teach contact point or swing plane?

Aug 5, 2022
I remember seeing Kinzie Hanson playing at the IDT. I thought to myself, just a tall skinny kid. There is something to say about weights and nutrition! I was talking to my DD the other day and asked her about her peak weight during her career. It was 180 lbs. I thought it was 160. She was around 140 lbs after HS.

During her last college season I noticed she started dropping some weight after mid season. You know what else dropped? Her HR's! Instead of the ball going over the fence, she was banging them off the fence. That extra weight makes a big difference.

I’m really interested to see how dd changes during college. She’s 130 at 5ft 6. She does lift 4 days a week now but it’s for sure not the kind of lifting she’ll do in college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 13, 2023
JT He is still open to learning. He is not a " I have already forgot more about hitting than you will ever know" type guy.
What makes you think those things of JT?

Here is why I think Oklahoma hits well.
Oklahoma gets to pick the top athletes.
These athletes are already hitting phenomenally before they get to Oklahoma.
They have the most money to pour into their athletes. They have so many of the top athletes on their roster they can sort through them through-out the year to see who is producing best. Because they have the best also sitting on their bench it creates a pressure of productivity to the starting 9, 10 or 11...

The behind the scenes at Oklahoma is truly yet to be exposed. Programs that are at the top like that have a lot going on that we don't see watching the game.

When being able to recruit players who are currently playing at other colleges and making offers before players enter the transfer portal is affecting team selections.

Last edited:
May 11, 2014
Sounds like they must have been pretty good instructional videos, maybe some other coaches should watch them. So Mike are you accusing Patty of cheating again, proof would be nice. Couldn't be that winners want to play with winners.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Can you explain "old school garbage", I know Husband has said in the past that what he teaches is not new. Husband uses new technology but I believe the swing is old old school unless he has changed
I believe Husband is now teaching armbar as a way to reach max exit velocity. If we were playing Exit Velocity and hitting off a tee he might have a point.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I enjoyed the video. Kind of repetitive.
I will say I am unsure softball having more force at impact. The momentum is about the idsame and KE is lower. Might have to do with impact characteristics?
For launch angle do people teach contact point or swing plane?
It's both launch angle and contact point. But you don't hit down on the ball to create backspin. That's hogwash. Trying to hit a 10 degree launch angle is smart. Contact point is slightly inside the ball. Not around the ball ( hooking the ball).
I have heard a hitting coach teach hitting outside part of the ball and snap or roll your wrist at contact to increase bat speed. And people pay him because he played in the minors.

Apr 14, 2022
It's both launch angle and contact point. But you don't hit down on the ball to create backspin. That's hogwash. Trying to hit a 10 degree launch angle is smart. Contact point is slightly inside the ball. Not around the ball ( hooking the ball).
I have heard a hitting coach teach hitting outside part of the ball and snap or roll your wrist at contact to increase bat speed. And people pay him because he played in the minors.
By saying both launch angle and contact point. You mean both swing plane and contact point? Launch angle is a result.
You can create just about any launch angle by any swing plane in softball. Not for sure about baseball.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I believe Husband is now teaching armbar as a way to reach max exit velocity. If we were playing Exit Velocity and hitting off a tee he might have a point.

Great point. But there’s a certain way to get the arm bar. He doesn’t know that. That’s why they have all very different looking hitters. But when they’re 100-100 as he says they are right there. lol everyone is. He’s a fool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00