Oklahoma is killing me in the 4th inning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Not sure where obsession comments are coming from. I started a post about the complaints about rain/field conditions and pitching control in the 4th inning. Also, sometimes in typing I may not be 100% accurate in my terminology (i.e Runner vs. BR). I am human.

As always, thanks to MTR for giving me a better understanding of the base lane/path. However I am now at a point of having another question....If they can run where ever so long as they do not cause interference against a player making an attempt on the ball then why must they stay within a clearly defined distance on either side of it or be called out if outside of it when attempting to stay away from the defense while advancing a base. Is my situation only applicable to running to 2nd and 3rd bases as opposed to this slap hit being a play down the first baseline? As always, Thanks in Advance

Jun 22, 2008
Not sure where obsession comments are coming from. I started a post about the complaints about rain/field conditions and pitching control in the 4th inning. Also, sometimes in typing I may not be 100% accurate in my terminology (i.e Runner vs. BR). I am human.

As always, thanks to MTR for giving me a better understanding of the base lane/path. However I am now at a point of having another question....If they can run where ever so long as they do not cause interference against a player making an attempt on the ball then why must they stay within a clearly defined distance on either side of it or be called out if outside of it when attempting to stay away from the defense while advancing a base. Is my situation only applicable to running to 2nd and 3rd bases as opposed to this slap hit being a play down the first baseline? As always, Thanks in Advance

Base line and base path are 2 completely different things. Baseline is a straight line directly between 2 bases. A basepath is set by the runner themselves. A runner, or batter runner is never limited to running in the baseline, they can run where ever they like, as MTR indicated, they can run to the outfield fence if they like. The only time a runner is restricted to 3' either side of their "basepath" is when a play is being attempted on them.

The batter/runner is never restricted to running only in the running lane. The lane merely protects them from being guilty of interference should they somehow prevent the ball from being caught at 1st base. Also, this lane only applies to plays at 1st base, it does not have any meaning if a throw were to be coming from F3 back to home plate.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Base line and base path are 2 completely different things. Baseline is a straight line directly between 2 bases. A basepath is set by the runner themselves. A runner, or batter runner is never limited to running in the baseline, they can run where ever they like, as MTR indicated, they can run to the outfield fence if they like. The only time a runner is restricted to 3' either side of their "basepath" is when a play is being attempted on them.

The batter/runner is never restricted to running only in the running lane. The lane merely protects them from being guilty of interference should they somehow prevent the ball from being caught at 1st base. Also, this lane only applies to plays at 1st base, it does not have any meaning if a throw were to be coming from F3 back to home plate.

Thanks Comp. As always it helps me learn everyday. A reason I love this site.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If they can run where ever so long as they do not cause interference against a player making an attempt on the ball then why must they stay within a clearly defined distance on either side of it or be called out if outside of it when attempting to stay away from the defense while advancing a base. Is my situation only applicable to running to 2nd and 3rd bases as opposed to this slap hit being a play down the first baseline? As always, Thanks in Advance

Can you imagine a very recreational youth soccer game where you have about 20 kids all chasing the ball around the field? Now, imagine the defense chasing a runner all around the field trying to tag them. Once the defense positions themselves (with the ball) to tag a runner out, the base path to which that runner can proceed is now restricted to a direct line from his/her present position to the base to which they are advancing. The base path is 3' on either side of that line and the runner is out if s/he leaves that path to avoid being tagged.

Once the defense has possession of the ball and attempting/executing a play, the rules provide a limit as to where the offensive players involved may be in order for them (defense) to complete the play at hand without interference.