Oklahoma is killing me in the 4th inning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Besides MTR - Does anyone here understand what the running lane is for?

Where is all this running lane stuff coming from?

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Besides MTR - Does anyone here understand what the running lane is for?

Where is all this running lane stuff coming from?

OK, I'm not too proud to ask: please explain what the lane is for, and why it didn't matter in this scenario.

And while you're at it, can you explain why it was ok for the fielder to push the runner over (more of a bodycheck than a push actually)? That's really unclear to me, and the more I look at it, the more outrageous it seems.

Jul 28, 2008
Maybe I missed something but the 1st baseman was in fair territory. Not blocking the runner from running in or near the lane not 2 feet inside the fair territory. Now....Did 1st base lean in a little to get hit a little harder and add some acting...Sure seemed like it to me.

No, you didn't miss anything. I do, however, want to know what is your obsession with the running lane? The runner does not have to run in it. They can run through the pitcher's circle if they so choose. It's also not a safe zone for INT, either.

Jun 15, 2011
I personally have no obsession with the running lane other than to use it as a point of reference for where the Sooner runner should have been running to avoid all of this. Not necessarily in the lane but close enough to it that she could have easily avoided contact...especially since the ball was slapped up the first base side. There is no obligation for a runner to run in the lane, however very seldom do you see a runner that far inside the lines 2/3 of the way to the base. I still contend that if her path took her back to the line she likely would have been safe and they may still be playing.

Jun 15, 2011
Here are some rules that might apply...

2.21 Runner’s Lane
The area that is the last half of the distance between home plate and first base where a batter-runner must run to avoid interfering with a fielder’s attempt to receive a thrown ball. It is bounded by a 30-foot line drawn in foul territory parallel to and 3 feet from the first-base line, starting at a point halfway between home plate and the back edge of first base. (See diagram.) The runner’s lane should be skinned.

12.2.4.2 The batter-runner may not run outside the base runner’s lane and, in
the umpire’s judgment, interfere with the fielder taking the throw at first base. Exception: The batter-runner may run outside the base runner’s lane: (a) if she has not yet reached the start of the runner’s lane; (b) to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball; or (c) if she leaves the lane on her last stride in order to touch first base.

12.9 Base Runner is Out:

12.9.7 When she interferes with a fielder attempting to field a batted ball, interferes with a fielder attempting to throw the ball or intentionally interferes with a thrown ball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I personally have no obsession with the running lane other than to use it as a point of reference for where the Sooner runner should have been running to avoid all of this. Not necessarily in the lane but close enough to it that she could have easily avoided contact...especially since the ball was slapped up the first base side. There is no obligation for a runner to run in the lane, however very seldom do you see a runner that far inside the lines 2/3 of the way to the base. I still contend that if her path took her back to the line she likely would have been safe and they may still be playing.

You don't have an obsession with it yet you continue to reference it. Discussion for the play at hand cannot include the 3' lane, it doesn't exist. There is no cause to reference it because being in it or near it would mean absolutely nothing and does nothing, the contact still could be INT.

The runner can run prance along the front of the dugout getting high-fives from her teammates, as long as she beats the ball to 1B, she's good.

BTW, if the BR, not runner, wanted to get to foul territory, she would have had to move in front of the ball AND F3 which could have possibly been ruled as INT. The BR did exactly what she was supposed to do, elect another route to avoid INT.

Also, if I remember correctly, a similar event took place in last year's NCAAs where F4 backed away from that ball into the runner's path on her way to 2B and the umpire refused to call INT. Explanation was simple, she ceased playing the ball and started playing the runner. Well, if you are not playing the ball, you are not afforded protection.

Jun 15, 2011
You don't have an obsession with it yet you continue to reference it. Discussion for the play at hand cannot include the 3' lane, it doesn't exist. There is no cause to reference it because being in it or near it would mean absolutely nothing and does nothing, the contact still could be INT.

The runner can run prance along the front of the dugout getting high-fives from her teammates, as long as she beats the ball to 1B, she's good.

BTW, if the BR, not runner, wanted to get to foul territory, she would have had to move in front of the ball AND F3 which could have possibly been ruled as INT. The BR did exactly what she was supposed to do, elect another route to avoid INT.

Also, if I remember correctly, a similar event took place in last year's NCAAs where F4 backed away from that ball into the runner's path on her way to 2B and the umpire refused to call INT. Explanation was simple, she ceased playing the ball and started playing the runner. Well, if you are not playing the ball, you are not afforded protection.

Huh...I think you got the wrong guy. I agree with you. You might need to go back and reread the thread. That's why I said the only reason I referenced it was to indicate where the Sooner runner's path should have led her to avoid the whole mess. Not because she was required, but because it is the smart thing to do. I simply listed the rules so people can see for themselves. It reinforces your assertion in my opinion.

A runner can run in the outfield if he wants(as long as he isn't doing so to avoid a tag), but that doesn't make it the smart thing to do. There is no rule that says the runner had to run in the running lane. But I'll tell you this....had she been near the lane she might have been safe. Then who knows...

I'm glad I provided you with the lead in to jump on your soapbox. I can tell you enjoyed it. Lol

Oct 19, 2009
Come on folks, do you actually think this is the first game in these girls lives they played during rain? I've played in the rain, I've played in the snow, I've played in 30 degree weather where I couldn't feel my hands wrapped around the ball, I've played in 100 degree heat where I felt like passing out.

But, in each of the above guess what? So did the other team, so neither had an advantage.

When I go with my daughter to practice at the local fields, we look for the worst mound to practice from, the worst ball in the bucket to practice with and we practice in light rain. IMO having pitched in less than ideal conditions in practice and having the confidence you can do when you have too, makes it more likely you will succeed under game conditions.

After watching these games we will probably work more with a wet ball, taking a bottle of water or a bucket of water to the field. ;)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I played travel ball 1st base from age 10 to age 25 and I never had a runner try to pass me on the right. I don't know what I would have done, in the moment, if one had tried. The play just looks odd.

Jun 3, 2010
I felt the ESPN commentators are horrible. Yes, two of them are two of the greatest to ever play the game, but some of the stuff they say is just ignorant. In one instance, Mendoza made a comment after a ground ball ate up a second baseman, she said the ground is much harder after a rain. The field had tarps on it all day, once the tarps were removed, the playing surface was gone over multiple times with the infield tractor. Never heard of the surface getting hard because of rain, maybe after 1.5 days of 100 degree heat and sun will it get harder.

I would give anything if they would get 3 new commentators, Charlotte Morgan, the big red head that does some for ESPN now and a current D1 coach that did not make it to OKC.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse