Oklahoma is killing me in the 4th inning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
So Ok has come out and complained that the rain is too much for the pitcher to maintain control of her grip.
The umpires have stopped the game to seek council and make a decision. The game is in limbo now. Really....
Alabama had to play the top of the inning in this rain and get three outs....Oklahoma should have to do the same thing before they stop. Makes not sense. Play Ball! The situation was the same for Alabama in the top of the inning...so why stop now

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Yes. Really. Why should one team have to pitch in the rain and then another get to stop until they figure it out...
At least finish the inning and then decide to it is fair on both sides. That was my point.
BTW. Would have had the same complaint if sides were reversed. Just seemed off to me.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
Not a fan of either team, liked OU's chances after seeing how the played in gm1. If college softball is going to be taken seriously, they need to hire some real umps. From the Ore vs Tx situation, to the 5 extra inch strike zone, interference calls and the way they handled the rain delay. 'Bama earned it, but these ladies work to hard for an ump's choice to ruin or tarnish the outcome of a game.

Yes, I know they are human, but watching MLB its very rare you see them handle a situation like these umps did today and over the course of the tourney.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
A lot is considered in stopping the game due to rain and the pitcher's ability to get her grip is way, way down the list. Most of it is safety, not what may be perceived as fair.

Why not make a team finish an inning? Could it be because the field deteriorates that much more every minute it is raining? Oh, BTW, the umpires had no control over this game playing or not. They will have 100% input, but the NCAA Rep is going to make that determination.

It was reported that they were going to continue playing through because it was only a 10 minute burst with a least an hour window of clear skies behind it. Well, the game was already way behind schedule and the audience diminished, so why the rush to restart what has become the showcase game for the entire NCAA season? Give the ground crew 15 minutes to roll the infield and drop something in the circle to suck up some of the water and let the teams have at it.

Of course, this may show what drives the NCAA and it isn't the players or the game.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
So Ok has come out and complained that the rain is too much for the pitcher to maintain control of her grip.
The umpires have stopped the game to seek council and make a decision. The game is in limbo now. Really....
Alabama had to play the top of the inning in this rain and get three outs....Oklahoma should have to do the same thing before they stop. Makes not sense. Play Ball! The situation was the same for Alabama in the top of the inning...so why stop now
And here I was thinking how sad it was that rain decided the National Championship.

Jan 1, 2011
Alabama
I am glad I am not the only one whos dish went out. ESPN 3 saved the day! I recently changed internet providers just so i could get it.

It is a real shame that rain played a factor. But at the same time I don't think that OU's coach handled the situation. I guess that was stating the obvious.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55