NSA Florida 275#/.52 COR Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
Same here. They used it for a few tournaments but had lots of negative feedback and I think they realized they'd be hit in the pockets if they continued to use it. Hoping they out it away for good.

Feb 17, 2014
The 2016 NSA rule book still has the dead ball as their rule, page 18 of the fast pitch rules.

Last year, I had a lot of 11 inch balls with the old specs and we used them for all of our tournaments until we ran out of them. I doubt it, but maybe that's what they are doing.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
There is nothing wrong with these balls, though I prefer the .52/300. They are not dead and the initial bounce can be tricky.

They are not dead off the bat, nor do they die in flight. These are perceptions made by those who are used to getting equipment-aided power. If your HR hitter isn't hitting HR anymore, she wasn't a HR hitter to begin. If you use proper mechanics and hit the ball properly, it will still leave the park. If not hit properly, it will react just like the balls did before the high tech world hijacked the sport. :)

However, the big point is that it is "safer" for the defenders. The difference between these new specs and the existing is the impact on a player being hit by the ball. Supposedly, it could make the difference between a fractured skull and a bump on the head, shin splints and a deep bruise. The lower compression will not reduce the potential injuries, but will reduce the severity. Go to 17:30 of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SaPjwwIhIo

What it comes down to is that teams will have to think smaller as the instances of the accidental HR will be less frequent, if not disappear altogether.

Dec 11, 2010
Gotta disagree MTR, went to 12u NSA A national that used those balls.

Should be seeing some burned outfielders and a occasional hr at that level. It was like hitting Jugs Softies. Very blah week for all the teams.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
There is nothing wrong with these balls, though I prefer the .52/300. They are not dead and the initial bounce can be tricky.

They are not dead off the bat, nor do they die in flight. These are perceptions made by those who are used to getting equipment-aided power. If your HR hitter isn't hitting HR anymore, she wasn't a HR hitter to begin. If you use proper mechanics and hit the ball properly, it will still leave the park. If not hit properly, it will react just like the balls did before the high tech world hijacked the sport. :)

However, the big point is that it is "safer" for the defenders. The difference between these new specs and the existing is the impact on a player being hit by the ball. Supposedly, it could make the difference between a fractured skull and a bump on the head, shin splints and a deep bruise. The lower compression will not reduce the potential injuries, but will reduce the severity. Go to 17:30 of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SaPjwwIhIo

What it comes down to is that teams will have to think smaller as the instances of the accidental HR will be less frequent, if not disappear altogether.

Sorry MTR, but I have to disagree. The ball is mushy and gets even more mushy quickly, it doesn't go anywhere and the fielders all move in to compensate making the so called 'safer' ball, less safe or at least no safer. Last season in 12U-A NSA tournaments we played our RF at deep 2nd most of the time and our CF was normally at the edge of the grass. We basically played 'infield in' the entire tournament. With the infield in, the short game was less effective as well.

In 8U games there was no outfield at all - every coach played their entire team in the dirt.

NSA didn't 'study' anything. They just made an arbitrary decision with little real thought. The idea behind the decision to try and make things safer is a good idea - it was just poorly executed.

Aug 5, 2015

This sounds like a post about slowpitch, especially the "accidental HR" part. In slowpitch the new ball is widely used, and while it does fly a bit shorter under most conditions, the difference isn't huge (maybe about 6% less distance on a well hit HR for me personally). The main benefit in addition to being safer is that they are supposed to be more consistent under different conditions (heat/cold). They aren't supposed to harden up in the cold (which will hurt their distance in those conditions compared to the old balls) or soften up (in heat). They are also a bit lighter, so a wind blowing in hurts their distance much more.

Sorry MTR, but I have to disagree. The ball is mushy and gets even more mushy quickly, it doesn't go anywhere and the fielders all move in to compensate making the so called 'safer' ball, less safe or at least no safer. Last season in 12U-A NSA tournaments we played our RF at deep 2nd most of the time and our CF was normally at the edge of the grass. We basically played 'infield in' the entire tournament. With the infield in, the short game was less effective as well.

In 8U games there was no outfield at all - every coach played their entire team in the dirt.

NSA didn't 'study' anything. They just made an arbitrary decision with little real thought. The idea behind the decision to try and make things safer is a good idea - it was just poorly executed.
Fewer HRs definitely sucks, but MTR does have a point about safety, and I don't think that is totally canceled out by players playing closer (the pitcher is already very close, and 3rd/1st baseman play obscenely close already when slappers are up).

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Y'all can disagree all you please, it is what it is. SP has been using this ball for about 5 years now and what I have stated is exactly what has happened. FP or SP, it is a bat with given specs hitting a ball with given specs and will have similar results. Given that the SP swing speed is substantially faster than that in the FP game, the limited negative effect on the batted ball should be less in the FP game. I should also note that ASA uses a compression of 300 which came from testing of the 275 prior to any approved changes in the balls specs.

If the ball is "mushy" it is because you bought a cheap product. That was a similar complaint in the SP game that was found to have nothing to do with the COR/compression. This was a complaint with certain balls when they were still using 47/475 and others. Adult SP games have no problem with well-made balls easily lasting more than one game and that is with much more of a beating than the ball in a youth FP game.

And anyone who thinks accidental HR don't occur in the FP game needs to start watching with their eyes, not their hearts.

Dec 11, 2010
We didn't buy a cheap product at our nationals. Balls were provided, it was a decent brand, Dudley I think.

Not sure what adult slow pitch has to do with youth fastpitch.

That ball turned a national tournament into a total snooze fest. Jeez, you make it sound like any 90 pound kid can decapitate pitchers and hit two home runs per game. My 12u dd played 120 plus games last season, I saw only a handful of hr's. Less than 10 probably. Most were by a kid (not mine) who is a beast hitter that works on hitting almost every day, probably a softball 1%er. Her hr's were not accidents.

I can say I saw one "accidental" hr at that level last year. Irony being what it is, it was an indoor NSA tournament.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl