No softball in 2028 Olympics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
I wouldn't. One of the things I enjoy about the Olympics is watching sports I don't get to see regularly being played at a high level.
exactly. sports that don’t already have their own platform.

Jul 31, 2015
A side note...For the Olympics, swimming, water polo, and diving haven't used the same pool in a long time. Most recently, swimming has been using temporary pools assembled inside stadiums to take advantage of the seating capacity. A temporary pool is a LOT cheaper than building a stadium.

Yep. Most natatoriums have more than one pool, each customized for one sport, plus some side pools and hot tubs for warmups.

Key point is it's not hard to find these facilities, just about every uni in the world has one.
Just add some seating and good to go.

But, building temporary indoor pools - that is fascinating.
Do they just dig through the floor into the foundation and then replace everything afterward?
🤯

Jun 8, 2016
You're out of your knowledge depth on this, my friend. So Cal is home to multiple D1 softball programs, plus has some very nice city-owned facilities. The reality is that Olympic softball isn't going to attract 10,000+ fans. Expanding the seating capacity of an existing facility isn't difficult.
No sh%* So Cal has college facilities. Youth, which is the part I was responding to, isn’t college my “friend”.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yep. Most natatoriums have more than one pool, each customized for one sport, plus some side pools and hot tubs for warmups.

Key point is it's not hard to find these facilities, just about every uni in the world has one.
Just add some seating and good to go.

But, building temporary indoor pools - that is fascinating.
Do they just dig through the floor into the foundation and then replace everything afterward?
🤯

No. They're assembled on top of the existing floor slab of the stadium.

(Note - My company is a competition swimming pool contractor. We are a certified installer of the brand indicated in the video. However, we have only done permanent in-ground installations of that system. Most of the pools we build are reinforced concrete/shotcrete construction.)

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
No sh%* So Cal has college facilities. Youth, which is the part I was responding to, isn’t college my “friend”.

I'm not following your limitation to only youth fields? Two of the other facilities I named are city-owned multi-field facilities that are used regularly for TB events of all ages. A few years ago, Bill Barber Park was the venue for a major international tournament.

JayW's comment about youth fields was related to field dimensions being the same at all ages and levels of play. Obviously, the surrounding facilities vary.

Jun 8, 2016
JayW's comment about youth fields was related to field dimensions being the same at all ages and levels of play.
Hence you could use them if you wanted to, to which I responded with the capacity statement…Not that hard to follow.

Whatever..they could play wherever they want to but they aren’t. My apologies for pissing on your fire hydrant.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
LA and the surrounding area has the facilities for softball and baseball so that is not really an issue. I think it comes down to several issues...

1. MLB will not release their players to participate in Baseball. If this were to happen Baseball and Softball would be in....no questions asked.

2. The IOC really doesn't want to include another sport that the US will likely win. The Summer Olympics are dominated by the US in terms of metal counts. Including softball would give the US another medal.

3. The IOC doesn't like the US even though we are their most important market by far. Viewing numbers actually don't mean anything. Okay...I get it...China loves Table Tennis. Half a billion people in China watched table tennis...and China is the second largest advertising market in the world....but here is the catch. Advertisers spend $10B per a year in China. Advertisers spend $300B in the US per a year. So the TV rights that are paid to the IOC by US broadcasters are much more than by any other country and most likely every other country combined.

So the IOC should be focusing on getting their US ratings up...which were down last time...even though they included baseball and softball. So it all's go back to number 1 listed above. I do think they could make softball a lot more interesting if they used the NCAA rules and the NCAA balls. The WCWS proves that the audience in the US exists for profitable broadcasting of women's softball in the tournament format.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Softball is not a for sure sport in the Olympics for the same reason American Football is not. They are both wildly popular here but participation in other parts of the world is limited. People mention events like team handball or even cricket and snicker but it is played widely in many, many places around the world, just not here.

Having said that I will be surprised if SB/BB don’t find their way into the LA games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2015
They ruined the Olympics years ago when they allowed professional athletes instead of amateurs in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 31, 2015
1. MLB will not release their players to participate in Baseball. If this were to happen Baseball and Softball would be in....no questions asked.

So it all's go back to number 1 listed above.

Yep.
Fight has been going on for decades.
MLB owners will never relent, nor should they.
Why risk injury and deal with the disruption? What's in it for them?

Olympics are meaningless for soccer, tennis, golf, and basketball. So baseball is not an outlier in terms of major $$$ sports in shunning the Olympics.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA