New player to the team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
First off, if my team had 10 players, then I've got 2-4 roster spots open. Secondly, better players breeds competition within your team. The other players either step up their game or find a spot on a lesser team. You will never keep everyone happy. Never!

Mar 26, 2013
You've got a spot open on the team...no specific position (all positions considered), mainly because you want to have a roster of 10 players. You find the girl you want to offer a spot to and she's a pitcher. You've already got two pitchers on the team. Your ace is definitely the dominant pitcher and the number two is pretty decent. This new pitcher comes along and she's every bit as good or maybe even a little better than the ace, and is definitely much better than the number two.

Both of your existing pitchers have been with the team (now 12u) since it started when they were 8u. Both families have been loyal families. The ace pitcher's dad is one of your assistant coaches or even the head coach's daughter. You know if you put the new pitcher in ahead of the number two, that family is going to be upset. You don't want to lose this new pitcher to a new team because she is definitely a huge asset to bring aboard. This new pitcher is definitely looking for some quality pitching time.

How do you keep everyone happy?
You can't keep everyone happy all the time. Your 'hypothetical' team just wants a warm, dues-paying member that won't upset the existing families - even if it means picking up a player that won't be happy with their role on the bench.

Everyone wants better players, as long as they don't play their DD's position.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My friend and I were discussing this situation the other day and we both were curious as to what other coaches would do in a similar situation. Keep in mind, this is hypothetical, but I'm sure it has actually happened to some teams out there.

You've got a spot open on the team...no specific position (all positions considered), mainly because you want to have a roster of 10 players. You find the girl you want to offer a spot to and she's a pitcher. You've already got two pitchers on the team. Your ace is definitely the dominant pitcher and the number two is pretty decent. This new pitcher comes along and she's every bit as good or maybe even a little better than the ace, and is definitely much better than the number two.

Both of your existing pitchers have been with the team (now 12u) since it started when they were 8u. Both families have been loyal families. The ace pitcher's dad is one of your assistant coaches or even the head coach's daughter. You know if you put the new pitcher in ahead of the number two, that family is going to be upset. You don't want to lose this new pitcher to a new team because she is definitely a huge asset to bring aboard. This new pitcher is definitely looking for some quality pitching time.

How do you keep everyone happy?

3 pitchers. 3 pool games. Math works for me.

And with better pitching talent and depth, comes opportunities to go deeper on elimination day so chances of more pitching time Sunday as well.

Also more options in games if someone doesn't have it one day or you want to mix things up or whatever. It also makes BP easier, scrimmages more useful and just all around a good situation.

It isn't that hard to keep 3 pitchers happy and competitive with each other. Especially in younger age groups I wish more teams pitched more girls so there is a chance of developing some depth for older teams over time.

Edit: Oh and injuries/illness/school activities/etc. These happen as well and you need depth.

Jun 24, 2011
You take the new pitcher to strengthen the team! If the team's goal is to develop players, all of the pitchers should be playing other positions anyway, especially if the roster is 10-11. As said by other posters above, the competition the new pitcher brings should raise everybody's game.

It's really a simple question of team philosophy - are you a fastpitch team or a daddyball team?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
This is easy. My dd's team, at that age, had 3 or 4 pitchers. My dd was the "Ace" back then. However, this enabled her to play so many more positions. She was still able to pitch key league and tournament games. For example, for pool play, everyone pitched. For elimination games my dd pitched. We were able to keep 3-4 pitcher's happy every year with the exception of one year where one parent thought that his dd was #1 and demanded that his dd pitch the championship game of a tournament. I didn't care (I was an assistant coach) but head coach sent them on their way. We won tournament anyway. We were the 4th team that young lady played for that year. LOL! If you play 40 or more games you are going to need all the arms you can get.

Jul 26, 2010
A real pitcher wants to join a team as the #2 and then work hard and improve and take the #1's spot. No real competitor ever wants to start the job as #1. If you're #1, you need a better team.

-W

Feb 7, 2013
Nothing wrong with having 3 good pitchers. Also, you don't have to pitch the same pitcher the whole game. Last summer we frequently pitched #1 the first three innings and #2 the last three or four innings (timed games). It worked well because once the opposing batters went once through the order, they faced a different pitcher their next at bat. We were very successful with this approach and kept our pitchers fresh. If we had a solid #3, we could have put her into this rotation every other game or so.

I think it's GoingDeep who has argued using a middle reliever and a closer in fastpitch and I think it could work pretty well if done correctly. It seems insane to me to have to have the #1 pitch all three games or more on a Sunday. Borders on child abuse IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Nothing wrong with having 3 good pitchers. Also, you don't have to pitch the same pitcher the whole game. Last summer we frequently pitched #1 the first three innings and #2 the last three or four innings (timed games). It worked well because once the opposing batters went once through the order, they faced a different pitcher their next at bat. We were very successful with this approach and kept our pitchers fresh. If we had a solid #3, we could have put her into this rotation every other game or so.

I think it's GoingDeep who has argued using a middle reliever and a closer in fastpitch and I think it could work pretty well if done correctly. It seems insane to me to have to have the #1 pitch all three games or more on a Sunday. Borders on child abuse IMO.
I like coaches that use a rotation and relief pitchers.
Unless a girl is dominating a game with ease I'll usually(every situation is different) bring in another pitcher after a few times through the line up.(Despite scowls from my own dd). If a girl is struggleing I'll bring in a reliever(usually my best pitcher that is already warm) long enough to get next girl in the rotation warmed up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing