New bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not Easton because of their Olympic vote issue regarding softball.

Jim Easton abstained from voting due to a potential ethical conflict. Unfortunately, it had a catastrophic effect. Apparently, he has since sold the portion of the company that manufactures bats, so the connection to Jim Easton is gone. It seems that purchasing an Easton bat will not longer line the pockets of "the man that killed Olympic softball".

SignOnSanDiego.com > Sports -- Olympic softball lacked swing vote

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2013
ok this is all new to me so please let me make sure i understand this correctly...

because of a vote people are suggesting not to purchase easton products? not because they are a lesser (performance wise) product.

Is the above correct??

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
This is a reason to buy Easton products not boycott them. While I am sad that the vote turned out the way it did, I applaud Mr. Easton for his principled stance. Blaming him for the outcome of such a close vote is ridiculous. There are 52 others who didn't vote the right way. Sure it had big consequences and I hate to see softball out, but we should boycott companies when their leaders manipulate things in their favor, not when they bow out of a decision due to a conflict of interest.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
According to the above linked article, Jim Easton is still involved with trying to get softball reinstated to the Olympics.

I agree with JJ, it's the other 52 people who voted against softball that should be the target of people's ire. Personally, I think Easton's softball and baseball products are great.

Nov 14, 2011
Jim Easton "could have" voted but chose not to. That was HIS choice. For him to be on the side of getting it back into the Olympics is extremely hypocritical when he could have voted to keep it in there in the first place. Conflict of interest based on $$$, but not for the good of the game and the future of women softball? Blaming the other 52 and then sit in the back seat and claim "not my fault" is wrong. Why would you NOT blame the person that could have kept it in the Olympics or just had the courage to cast the right vote? If his vote would have been dis-allowed based on his affiliation with Easton, then what would he have lost? Certainly not respect. Just look at the remarks that Jennie Finch and Jessica Mendoza made right after the vote was held. You can't tell me that they didn't lose respect based on his "non vote".

Nov 14, 2011
ms244 do you have any specific models you'd recommend in those brands in my price range? Is ebay the best place to find a used cf5? Sorry a lot of questions kind of new to the fastpitch world.
You can find CF5's all over the place now that the CF6's are out. Ebay is a good place to shop but some manufacturers won't honor bats purchased from ebay.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Jim Easton "could have" voted but chose not to. That was HIS choice. For him to be on the side of getting it back into the Olympics is extremely hypocritical when he could have voted to keep it in there in the first place. Conflict of interest based on $$$, but not for the good of the game and the future of women softball? Blaming the other 52 and then sit in the back seat and claim "not my fault" is wrong. Why would you NOT blame the person that could have kept it in the Olympics or just had the courage to cast the right vote? If his vote would have been dis-allowed based on his affiliation with Easton, then what would he have lost? Certainly not respect. Just look at the remarks that Jennie Finch and Jessica Mendoza made right after the vote was held. You can't tell me that they didn't lose respect based on his "non vote".

They are great players but not knowing them personally I cannot vouch for their intelligence so their opinions on this mean nada to me. Sure we all lost something valuable to us when it was voted out of the Olympics. But I am not willing to blame a single person for it, especially when he simply stuck to his own moral compass and made a decision that I think is perfectly reasonable in his situation. Faced with the same decision I like to think I would have done exactly what he did. It is when the stakes are high and you stand to lose something that you define what you are really all about. He could have taken the easy way out and voted for it and there would have ben zero blowback. You don't think he knew it would be a close vote and taking his stance could have big consequences? I'm sure he did and made the decision anyway. Much respect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06