Need some 10U advice please...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
Good coaches in coach pitch leagues spend a lot of time in the batting cages learning where each players "sweet spot" is so they can pitch to it.

Our league doesn't have practices once the season starts due to not having enough fields, plus I wasn't regularly pitching to the kids because I had back surgery. I would only pitch in a pinch. Then for fall ball, you get all the first timers, no practice during the season and only 2 practices before the start.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Our league doesn't have practices once the season starts due to not having enough fields, plus I wasn't regularly pitching to the kids because I had back surgery. I would only pitch in a pinch. Then for fall ball, you get all the first timers, no practice during the season and only 2 practices before the start.

You do not need a field to have BP....a batting cage or any open area will work. The regular pitcher should be working to learn each batters "sweet spot" and running two cages with two pitchers (backup plan) is even better! At the early age groups you might be perceived as a psycho softball coach, but having "voluntary" batting practice is a great way to set yourself and your team apart.

Mar 21, 2013
8U - Our league does the modified kid pitch all season long, and the umpire calls the strike zone for the coach pitches as well. Not a fan of all coach pitches are strikes. This forces kids to swing at pitches we generally try to teach them not to swing at. We also have a 6 out rule the first 4 innings in which once a pitcher has 6 outs (doesn't have to be consecutive) they cannot pitch again until another pitcher (or combination of pitchers) have 6 outs. This keeps the 1 or 2 good pitchers from dominating all games, and helps develop pitchers. In run rule innings the remaining outs go to the pitcher of record i.e. 5 run max scored with only 1 out the pitcher gets credit for all 3 outs. I've done it both ways, but we do modified all season. With straight kid pitch when teams have weak pitching it's a walk fest. So, the whole second half of the season they don't get to field and the other teams don't get to hit. Not good going into post season play. In my opinion

10U - As other have said machine pitch is a bad idea! You are actually creating an environment of mediocrity. It doesn't matter if they pitch better if they know they have a machine behind them. There is no accountability there. They will only get better when forced to get better.

Jan 7, 2015
Does replacing a pitcher with a coach in the middle of a count ever hurt their confidence?

We are also considering reducing the distance from the mound to the plate or trying to find a smaller ball. Any thoughts to those options?

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I prefer just going with a five-run max per inning. The kids need to learn to pitch and everyone else needs to be patient, so this is the best of both worlds without making the pitcher feel like a loser for throwing 4 balls.

The adults need to be off the field by that age.

In fall baseball we had a rule that if your team batted around, then your inning was over. Kids need a chance to play defense, too.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Does replacing a pitcher with a coach in the middle of a count ever hurt their confidence?

It is much better than them walking 6 girls in a row and watching girls score without hitting. At least the count is reset and they can go after the next batter. Also as the game is moving faster, they don't have to dwell on it for long - especially if you also have a 5-run limit per inning. It is a reasonable middle step, and is good for rec and for brand new pitchers throwing their first live pitchs. By end of season, the coaches will only come in once or twice per game.

We are also considering reducing the distance from the mound to the plate or trying to find a smaller ball. Any thoughts to those options?
Maybe a smaller ball for 8U, but not 10U.

In terms of distance they are VERY close already. You don't want to have your pitcher too close so it is more and more likely they get a line drive hit hard back at them. My DD is older now, and when she stands on the old 35' rubber during warm ups it feels like she is right on top of me.

Honestly, if there are people willing to work with pitchers, they will come through quickly enough.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD used an 11" ball in 10U, pitching from 35'. I am OK with both those rules. I do not think I would have the pitcher closer then 35'.

(At 10 DD moved up to 12U, I kind of wanted to see if she could hit that little 11" ball over the fence. :))

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I prefer just going with a five-run max per inning. The kids need to learn to pitch and everyone else needs to be patient, so this is the best of both worlds without making the pitcher feel like a loser for throwing 4 balls.

The adults need to be off the field by that age.

The good old days of 10U "bronze"! "Bronze" was the term used for our C-level TB tournaments, and was a lot like REC All-Stars. We had a three run limit per inning except for the last inning, which had a 5 run limit, and we used 4 outfielders. The run limit really helped the pitchers and defense from getting too discouraged, and we felt great about ourselves if we held a team to less than 10 runs a game!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom