Need help with ruling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Speaking ASA

AFA throwing a bat, it is never ruled an out unless done so in a manner which interfered with the defense's ability to make a play. If thrown in anger, the player should be ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Now, understand that throwing a bat is an intentional act. A bat slipping from a player's hands is a completely different event. If the bat "slips" out of the player's hands, that would be a discarded piece of equipment that is part of the game. If a bat is discarded in a manner which interferes with a play, interference is ruled.

It should be noted that simply dropping the bat is not interference. Also, there is no rule requiring the BR to discard the bat. A player may carry the bat around the bases if the choose as long as it is not used to interfere. Once the play is over, the bat may be taken to the dugout.

May 16, 2013
In my area ASA umpires call every player that throws the bat-out.

No warning.

Now it usually hits the catcher or umpire BUT if you are calling a player out for "throwing the bat" vs "hitting the catcher" then whether it goes infield or backstop it is an out.

I say its a judgement calll.

I don't think your "ASA" umpires are calling "ASA" rules.
Maybe these are local rules (for non-championship" games.

Apr 9, 2012
I don't think your "ASA" umpires are calling "ASA" rules.
Maybe these are local rules (for non-championship" games.

This is a major tournament network-A/B and open level ball. Hundreds of tourneys a year at dozens of parks.

that is why I am confused.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors