Need help with ruling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

About Them

Awaiting genuis pills
Aug 30, 2011
Chicago Suburbs
We play soley USSSA. Found this rule..

Sec 13. If the bat breaks and is hit by the ball or hits a runner or a fielder, no
interference will be called. If a whole bat is thrown and interferes with a
defensive player attempting a play, interference shall be called.
PENALTY: The batter is out and runners return. If, in the Umpire’s
judgment, interference prevented a possible double play, two may be declared
out (the batter throwing the bat and the runner closest to home).

I found this in the Umpire Case Book

SITUATION D: In hitting a slow roller to F5, the (a) whole bat slips out of B1’s hands and interferes with
F5 or (b) her bat breaks and hits the ball or F5 as F5 attempts to field the ball.
RULING: In (a) the ball is dead immediately. B1 is declared out for interference, because B1 is
responsible for controlling her bat and not allowing it to interfere with a defensive player attempting a play.
In (b), there is no penalty and the ball remains live. (7-13)

Apr 9, 2012
In my area ASA umpires call every player that throws the bat-out.

No warning.

Now it usually hits the catcher or umpire BUT if you are calling a player out for "throwing the bat" vs "hitting the catcher" then whether it goes infield or backstop it is an out.

I say its a judgement calll.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
In the OP it sounded as if the bat slipped out of her hands, it also sounded as if it was a strike so the INT is out as it didn't interfere with a defender. It doesn't sound like this is a case of a "thrown" bat, just a slip. I still say no call, strike on the batter.

And Golferbrady, yes in that case he needed to be tossed. No room to act like that.

I once had a girl (playing under NFHS rules) warned "because it nearly hit the catcher." Those were PU's words, I did not actually see it. I talked to her about it, then later in the game after a hit she tosses the bat over to the fence well away from the catcher and umpire.
Guess he didn't like that either and restricted her to the dugout.
BTW this girl had NEVER in the three years that I have been around her had an issue with this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors