Need advice on DD swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I like where you are going with this Clemens. Tall and Fall, Feet Together both allow the hitter to feel the move forward. The move forward is the most important aspect of timing. Does it have its flaws? Yes! What doesn’t have flaws? We work on timing the forward move before we start trying to fix mechanics. I think most on her working with young kids would see more results sooner if each drill they use focuses on timing the forward move. Too many focus their instruction on the gather or load. Gather too early and get stuck back. Gather too late and get stuck back. Get your hitters forward at release! Time the forward move first. Once the hitter learns to be moving forward in a controlled manner, you can get into gather or load stuff if needed. JMHO
100% agree. They have to get comfortable with it for sure.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Personally because I've seen excellent weight transfer with a wide stance. If the batter is comfortable with a wide stance, they can still transfer weight. IMO that's the same argument as no stride vs stride.
I agree with you they can. In this particular instance, she isn't.

May 12, 2016
I agree with you they can. In this particular instance, she isn't.
And why isn't she? I'd argue it's not because of her stance... however a narrower stance might be helpful, but I've seen narrow hitters with poor weight transfer as well, ABAF

May 12, 2016
I like where you are going with this Clemens. Tall and Fall, Feet Together both allow the hitter to feel the move forward. The move forward is the most important aspect of timing. Does it have its flaws? Yes! What doesn’t have flaws? We work on timing the forward move before we start trying to fix mechanics. I think most on her working with young kids would see more results sooner if each drill they use focuses on timing the forward move. Too many focus their instruction on the gather or load. Gather too early and get stuck back. Gather too late and get stuck back. Get your hitters forward at release! Time the forward move first. Once the hitter learns to be moving forward in a controlled manner, you can get into gather or load stuff if needed. JMHO
I think this is key.. "Controlled". Everything can't be coming forward at the same time.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
So the front knee is moving backwards and everything else is moving forward.

Unless the kids sequence naturally fyb one needs to understand how the body needs to move efficiently... No bandaids ( coil the rear hip, ttb, etc)... Add in that if the hitter has anxiety/fear of getting hit by the pitch etc. will cause gaps which locks the flow of a dynamically balanced sequence.

Its not like teaching kids dance and or dance movements ... Take 10 kids and teach them a certain dance/movement and then add in a variable of someone trying to prevent you from dancing correctly.. Chances are you will have 10 kids reacting differently to the variable.

IOW's maybe we should be addressing overcoming fear/anxiety while trying to move dynamically..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13