Need advice on DD swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
What swing is everyone looking at the first or second? The first swing sucks, the second one is much better than the first.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Op,

I would create a better set up so she can get into her backside during gather. Just try to get the posterior back away from the ball at gather. Right now she uses her hands and front side to create force. Opens up to load and has to cast or release the barrel to soon. Coming around a bit. Put in some time changing the gather. See where you’re at. Video and post.

Oct 10, 2019
Thanks for the good advice on her swing. I showed her a few of the video's people listed and then I had she watch her swing video. Right away she said she could see that she is not using her whole body. Having her recognize that she has lots of work to do is a good start.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
So....I've seen the description of "armsy," "not using her whole body," etc. etc. Why has no one mentioned her stance being way too wide, just picking the foot up, setting it right back down and getting very little weight transfer? The lack of coil is a byproduct of this wide stance also.

May 12, 2016
So....I've seen the description of "armsy," "not using her whole body," etc. etc. Why has no one mentioned her stance being way too wide, just picking the foot up, setting it right back down and getting very little weight transfer? The lack of coil is a byproduct of this wide stance also.
Personally because I've seen excellent weight transfer with a wide stance. If the batter is comfortable with a wide stance, they can still transfer weight. IMO that's the same argument as no stride vs stride.

Oct 2, 2017
I'm more and more being sold on this philosophy of committing to the fall forward on time. Timing, Timing, Timing.

Look at all these old timers. They had it figured out with their simple swings.

Tall and fall

May 12, 2016
You gotta find what works for your DD... maybe she needs to stand taller in order to produce proper sequence.. maybe a wide stance is comfortable for her, she just needs to understand the proper sequence etc. I wouldn't put a lot of weight on stance unless she can't get to a good launch position on time..

Wide
gif (2).gif

Narrow
gif (3).gif

They both still get here;
Capture1.PNG

Aug 20, 2017
I'm more and more being sold on this philosophy of committing to the fall forward on time. Timing, Timing, Timing.

Look at all these old timers. They had it figured out with their simple swings.

Tall and fall

I like where you are going with this Clemens. Tall and Fall, Feet Together both allow the hitter to feel the move forward. The move forward is the most important aspect of timing. Does it have its flaws? Yes! What doesn’t have flaws? We work on timing the forward move before we start trying to fix mechanics. I think most on her working with young kids would see more results sooner if each drill they use focuses on timing the forward move. Too many focus their instruction on the gather or load. Gather too early and get stuck back. Gather too late and get stuck back. Get your hitters forward at release! Time the forward move first. Once the hitter learns to be moving forward in a controlled manner, you can get into gather or load stuff if needed. JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802