ncaa title gane

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
I believe we're seeing more HRs as a result of improved training. The fences were moved back and up and they're still hitting homeruns. I'd say move the fences back if you want but I like the speed of the game and the potential explosiveness as it is now. And good for the hitters! it wasn't that long ago that the hitters were fairly quiet and the pitchers ruled the game. I think the hitters have caught up.

On the other hand, the penalty for Illegal pitches are what have ruined all of the playoffs for me! Call it a ball but don't advance the damn baserunners- it's NOT a BALK. I give the Umpires credit for being able to pick up the slight infractions, but I know I saw one where the pivot foot did not leave the ground but the runners still advanced. In WCWS past, there was plenty of leaping. Not to condone leaping but it's pretty crappy when they let you do it all season and then at the playoffs all of a sudden they're going to watch you under the microscope and call everything near an infraction.
Maybe that could be because the IP was called for something OTHER than a pivot foot violation. Hands? Non-pivot foot not in contact with pitchers plate?
Stride foot outside pitching lane? et al.
Not saying it was any of these, but it could have been.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
If they continue to move the fences back, then soon to follow will be moving the bases further apart. Everyone knows that it's not improved hitting. You see pop-ups going out of the park. You see someone trying to foul off a low pitch with a 2strike count, and it goes yard. This is not fun to watch. There is no managing in these games. It's time to do something about it. If I want to watch a HR fest, I will revert back to baseball.

I agree. Too many HR's of the lefty's bats that should've been a can of corn to the left fielder left the yard.

On the other hand, I don't want to see the bases moved back, either. Probably deaden the ball?

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
well at least the lines were 200' this year. They were 190' at the WCWS last yr. It was obvious they had been pulled in too, it even looked funny the way the fence came in sharply at the corners. Funny isnt it, ASA requires 200' for 14 yr old, but some colleges have 190' down their lines, saw some of that in the regionals and super regionals.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
Wait, The condition of our sport? Let's see, you had a team get put into the losers bracket by getting run limited, fight their way through 4 tough games in 2 days, and a freshman pitcher who threw an unbelievable amount of pitches the night before in the first game. The first night was a great back and forth game, that was lost on an error by an outfielder that was battling mono the entire tournament. The Wildcats just ran out of steam, and lacked a backup pitcher that could play at the level they needed to beat UCLA.
IMOP this showcased exactly what our sport is about. Determination, grit, and digging deep when your down. And at the end of the day, you can't pin the hopes of your entire team on the back of one player and expect to win a championship. I think UCLA was the best team this year, and they won.(I think washington was in the same boat as arizona, once DL was getting hit, they lost their edge.)

Remember how the strike almost killed baseball? What brought it back? Homerun hitters.(save the steroid comments, I know.) The anticipation of someone going yard puts butts in the seats, and that is exactly what this sport needs. As someone who is involved in the game it's easy to appreciate a good defensive battle. But for others, they want to see runs being scored, otherwise it's like watching soccer.:) Once softball is back in the olympics worry about changing the game. Until then I say leave it be.

May 25, 2010
IMOP this showcased exactly what our sport is about.

Yes - the NCAA is all about the exploitation of any given student-athlete on the biggest commercial platforms. We must never lose sight of that.

As for the number of runs being scored, I don't think anyone is complaining about the balls being driven out of the park. The issue seems to be with the check swing and pop fly homers that are a direct result of the lively balls and lively bats coming together.

Sep 3, 2009
Limit the bats to current model publicly available bats. No more stockpiles. 220' to the fence is moronic. My dd played last night on a field 220' at the corners. Maybe move the fence to 240' all the way around, and maybe deaden the ball slightly.

Have to remember, that hitting in this sport has advanced much faster than the pitching has.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Yes - the NCAA is all about the exploitation of any given student-athlete on the biggest commercial platforms. We must never lose sight of that.

Well, we are talking about Div I where school takes a back seat to sports, so you are probably referring to the "Athlete-Student". If the NCAA is exploiting any individuals here I don't see it being to anyone's disadvantage.

Jul 28, 2008
Have to remember, that hitting in this sport has advanced much faster than the pitching has.

I beg to differ. With the advances in carbon fiber technology, I'll say it's the bats. Hand all these girls a single wall aluminum alloy bat and see their numbers drop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06