ncaa title gane

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 15, 2009
After watching UCLA defeat Arizona 15-9, I was thinking what this says about the condition of our sport. To be honest, this sounds like the score of a local 10u rec game. This was supposed to be a battle between the two best collegiate teams in the country, but something has changed. It appears the NCAA wanted more offense, well they certainly got that!! I can't speak for everyone but I prefer a 3-2 well played game over a high scoring affair. I saw way too many pop flys going out of the park, too many home runs by slappers and contact hitters takes a lot of the thrill out of the long ball. I know not everyone will agree but I think something has to change, could be banning composite bats or maybe a softer ball, but something must be done. The speed at which the game is played is a major attraction and close, low scoring games are great with an occasional home run but I think things have gotten out of hand. Oh yeah, my daughter is a 14u pitcher and we don't like home runs, unless our team is hitting them!!! Wow, that sounds a little like Candrea!!!

Jun 1, 2009
I like the homeruns, but I agree, there are too many. Flyballs are going out of the park, linedrives in the gap are going out of the park. Why not move the fences back? 220 to dead center is just too close.
Back when Tiger Woods won the masters by a large margin, they started Tiger proofing the courses, the advancement in equipment had something to do with it, also. They lengthened the golf courses. It has made that game more interesting.
Do it with softball. Go 220 down the line and 240 to dead center.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Think what would have happened, if the fence hadn't been both raised and moved back 10 feet.

The game is approaching slow pitch scores.

Also, what is with all of the HBPs? That number is high, also.

When I played my ASA career with wood and aluminum bats, no balls went yard and very few players were ever hit with a line drive.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Mike Candrea stated they need to ban composite bats for one year. With high schools now all going to college pitching of 43 and using these bats with shorter fences you see the same thing.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I believe we're seeing more HRs as a result of improved training. The fences were moved back and up and they're still hitting homeruns. I'd say move the fences back if you want but I like the speed of the game and the potential explosiveness as it is now. And good for the hitters! it wasn't that long ago that the hitters were fairly quiet and the pitchers ruled the game. I think the hitters have caught up.

On the other hand, the penalty for Illegal pitches are what have ruined all of the playoffs for me! Call it a ball but don't advance the damn baserunners- it's NOT a BALK. I give the Umpires credit for being able to pick up the slight infractions, but I know I saw one where the pivot foot did not leave the ground but the runners still advanced. In WCWS past, there was plenty of leaping. Not to condone leaping but it's pretty crappy when they let you do it all season and then at the playoffs all of a sudden they're going to watch you under the microscope and call everything near an infraction.

Jan 20, 2010
Mike Candrea stated they need to ban composite bats for one year. With high schools now all going to college pitching of 43 and using these bats with shorter fences you see the same thing.

Will they ban Anderson bats as well?

Apr 12, 2010
I wonder how Easton liked seeing the stable of SCN1B's used by UCLA? The whole WCWS was basically mocking their new bats. lol

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Andersons are metal so the only way they will be banned is if it reverts to wood only like in the old days when it was uphill both ways to and from anywhere.

Jul 28, 2008
If they continue to move the fences back, then soon to follow will be moving the bases further apart. Everyone knows that it's not improved hitting. You see pop-ups going out of the park. You see someone trying to foul off a low pitch with a 2strike count, and it goes yard. This is not fun to watch. There is no managing in these games. It's time to do something about it. If I want to watch a HR fest, I will revert back to baseball.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06