NCAA rules on coaches giving lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2015
My brother coaches a major D1 Baseball program. He has kids camps and can only offer them to kids under 12. "It violates NCAA rules" is his get out of jail card for when people ask for favors

Jul 6, 2013
College coaches can give lessons to any age girl. However, they are supposed to be open to the public, but they can set a limit on number of participants. They can get paid for them. Whether they can give individual private lessons, I'm not sure.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'm talking about private hitting or pitching lessons, although I didn't know they were allowed to coach teams or that Tarr coached one. Pretty interesting.

DD had a hitting coach several years ago who got a job as a D-I assistant, and she told all of her students that she no longer could coach them because of NCAA rules. But there is a local D-III coach who gives private pitching lessons.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I'm talking about private hitting or pitching lessons, although I didn't know they were allowed to coach teams or that Tarr coached one. Pretty interesting.

A college coach can coach a TB team so long as there are no players on the team in HS. A 14U team would have to be all 7th and 8th graders.

Mar 26, 2013
NCAA rules allow softball coaches to be involved with TB teams. The rules regarding prospective student-athletes (i.e. HS-age players) vary by division.

D-I requires HS-age players legally reside within 50 miles of campus unless the team is the closest opportunity to participate in the sport.

13.11.2.4 Local Sports Clubs. In sports other than basketball, an institution’s coach may be involved in any capacity (e.g., as a participant, administrator or in instructional or coaching activities) in the same sport for a local sports club or organization located in the institution’s home community, provided all prospective student-athletes participating in said activities are legal residents of the area (within a 50-mile radius of the institution). ...

D-II requires HS-age players legally reside within 100 miles of campus (no exception).

13.11.2.4 Local Sports Clubs. In sports other than basketball, an institution’s coach may be involved as a participant or in instructional or coaching activities in the same sport for a local sports club or organization located in the institution’s home community, provided all prospective student-athletes participating in said activities are legal residents of the area (within a 100-mile radius of the institution). ...

D-III doesn't have a proximity requirement.

The advantage for D-I coaches isn't just with coaching the local kids - they get to evaluate players on opposing teams without it counting against their 50-day limit.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2014
DD PC took a pitching lesson from Mike White early in the year. She is through with college and not a prospect, but she can still bring the 70mph heat. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeatherL