My DD pitching - Internal Rotation Question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
If you've picked up this teaching from my I/R thread I'd have to claim success in it's purpose.........

Made the difference for me and I have been able to help quite a few young ladies (and earn the scorn of a number of skeptics)

Feb 20, 2012
looks like she needs to start her motion by bending her right knee and when she gets sideways closes early by dropping her back knee causing her go not snap/release and follow through more across her body. She looks like her pitching arm is flaring out instead of finishing with her elbow under her wrist.

Sep 3, 2009
looks like she needs to start her motion by bending her right knee and when she gets sideways closes early by dropping her back knee causing her go not snap/release and follow through more across her body. She looks like her pitching arm is flaring out instead of finishing with her elbow under her wrist.

Not sure I understand this post. She looks excellent to me for a 10 yo and her finish is natural. There is nothing wrong with her following through across her body. Much better than seeing so many youngsters "forcing" their finish towards the throwing shoulder.

My DD only pitched a few games this weekend and is showing definite improvement back in her control, but I'm must brag about her hitting this weekend. She had 16 total bases in 9 games. She ripped three line drives that rattled the fence for 2 home runs and a triple. We placed 2nd in the tournament.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Alan, your daughter is on her way. I want to commend you on your videotaping skills. High shutter speed, slow motion video is a great teaching aid, if all parents who post here looking for advice supplied video like you have it would really help.

One thing to consider is that as pitchers develop they evolve many small, almost undetectable actions that are not really teachable. This happens as you move from focusing on mechanics to emphasizing speed. In other words the goal causes minute adaptations in mechanics. So think about adding long toss or a speed gun exercise to her workout. However you must guard against a gross breakdown in mechanics while searching for speed.

I will be using your video as an example when I try to explain IR.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
My DD only pitched a few games this weekend and is showing definite improvement back in her control, but I'm must brag about her hitting this weekend. She had 16 total bases in 9 games. She ripped three line drives that rattled the fence for 2 home runs and a triple. We placed 2nd in the tournament.

Whoohoo! You got your reward both ways!

Alan, your daughter is on her way. I want to commend you on your videotaping skills. High shutter speed, slow motion video is a great teaching aid, if all parents who post here looking for advice supplied video like you have it would really help.

One thing to consider is that as pitchers develop they evolve many small, almost undetectable actions that are not really teachable. This happens as you move from focusing on mechanics to emphasizing speed. In other words the goal causes minute adaptations in mechanics. So think about adding long toss or a speed gun exercise to her workout. However you must guard against a gross breakdown in mechanics while searching for speed.

I will be using your video as an example when I try to explain IR.

I just got the camera a few weeks ago. It is a Canon Elph 300 HS, and I got it on sale for like $145. That video is 120fps. It is amazing how much technology they pack into those tiny cameras.

I completely agree those minute actions is what I'm having trouble with, but I think she is starting to understand. She has a tendency to take something I instruct her to do to a complete extreme and break completely out of form. I tell for her to make small adjustments but she would change every thing else to try to do that one thing. I chalk that up to her being stubborn, me being her coach as a dad and her maturity.

We do have a Pocket Radar which is great and I bring it out when we are working on speed. We also do long toss walk throughs from up to 60 feet and she can keep her form and hit me on the bucket pretty consistently. Over 60 feet she starts to break mechanics, but we are getting there.

Jan 6, 2013
she looks good!
can anyone recommend a pitching coach in the Raleigh NC area that teaches this type of pitching? i.e. internal rotation? most of the PC's i've spoken to are doing the "hello elbow" some even think that snapping or whipping across the body will cause injury.

TIA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad