More advice... please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2014
The fear that you're going to fail leads you to paralysis by analysis, inability to recognize things you know well under pressure, etc. You start thinking that you need to make up for one mistake by doing something extraordinary, and when that doesn't work you try even harder, etc. If your DD can get to the point where she forgets about the competition, takes every AB and fielding chance seriously but not like her life depends on whether she excels in the moment, she will be the kid you see in games.

Elk, I think this is exactly what's going on in her head. She puts pressure on herself to succeed knowing that she needs to perform in order for coaches to properly evaluate her. This doesn't seem to exist for her during games because she just goes out there and plays. It's the fear of failure without a doubt.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I could be wrong, but if it was "fear of failure", the fear would be greater during the game with 50 or 60 people watching than at a practice.

Her failure to perform at practice might have more to do with immaturity and lack of focus than fear.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
getting back to OP. At the younger ages it is more common than the older (16-18U) ages
that players are 'gamers'. Once girls begin playing with and against college bound players,
we do not afford them the luxury of 'dogging it' in practice in hopes that they perform well in games.
I like to see them practice well at 'game speed' to earn playing time when games matter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06