Michael Lewis's audio book about travel softball; playing to win

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2013
The reason “travel teams” travel is the same all over the country.

Teams travel to play teams of they haven't already played 9 times.
Not in our experience. I mean when Haley was younger we've traveled hundreds of miles to end up playing the same team we would have played at home because all of the teams in our area usually travel to the same out of town tournaments.

Now her 18U team plays pretty much the same tournaments every year along with all the other teams who play the same tournaments. They play those tournaments because they know what college coaches will be there. Our 18U team travels to the tournaments that will get our girls recruited to the schools they want to play at - and then we travel to PGF because the families enjoy CA once a year 🤷‍♀️

Jul 31, 2015
I personally HATE the idea that the oligarchs of travel softball have so much input on who gets recruited. I want less of that not more.

I‘ll let y’all get back to this episode of “The Sun Rises And Sets On Sunny California.”

Oligarchs of softball.

?

Are you suggesting that tournaments not offer different levels of play? And college coaches be left on their own to sort out talent from among thousands of players and hundreds of teams, with no input from TB coaches or TDs?

Not sure what you're getting at.

Also, within the Alliance, Texas is its own league. California is not.

Sparkler/Fireworks/IDT is in Colorado.

Apr 20, 2015
It's a great book, laying out how the youth sports industry plays on parents hopes and fears, and pocketbooks. Michael Lewis is a talented writer.

The Alliance is an attempt to curtail the craziness, counting local tourneys towards the points system which drives invitations to nationals. Makes much more sense than chasing PGF births.

And Colorado is just a boondoggle; only reason it's well-attended is because it's been around a long time. Totally inefficient way to recruit; colleges don't like it.

Explain to me how it is inefficient 100s of the best players in the same town playing other great players at the same time. Coaches can check in on a ton of their prospects at the same time. How is the inefficiency?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Oligarchs of softball.

?

Are you suggesting that tournaments not offer different levels of play? And college coaches be left on their own to sort out talent from among thousands of players and hundreds of teams, with no input from TB coaches or TDs?

Not sure what you're getting at.

Also, within the Alliance, Texas is its own league. California is not.

Sparkler/Fireworks/IDT is in Colorado.

Alliance is just the "good old boys" trying to get back more control of 'top softball' and the 'top softball players' and a bigger share of the $$$ because PGF had grown to a point where they were not automatically getting the 'best' players on their personal teams and the cash wasn't flowing only in their direction.

Which is exactly why PGF came into existence when they broke from ASA.
And involves a LOT of the same people.

Jul 31, 2015
Alliance is just the "good old boys" trying to get back more control of 'top softball' and the 'top softball players' and a bigger share of the $$$ because PGF had grown to a point where they were not automatically getting the 'best' players on their personal teams and the cash wasn't flowing only in their direction.

Sure! Of course.
Fight for control and supremacy. And money.

Never changes.

Alliance is still a better setup though.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

The Fastpitch Mafia. Might be a book there. Guys disguised as coaches, most of them living off their DDs successful college careers, struggle and fight for their piece of the fastpitch softball pie. Behind the back handshake deals and backstabbing....LOL

Jul 14, 2018
I didn't see mention of this (except in passing) in this thread. Sad indeed: https://www.latimes.com/california/...el-lewis-tabitha-soren-daughter-dies-in-crash

Wow, that’s terrible. Lewis “complained’ about so many things that are familiar to softball parents everywhere. But there was such affection in his voice, you know that deep down he loved the early mornings and long weekends with his daughter.

A good reminder to cherish every moment you get to spend watching them play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad