Michael Lewis's audio book about travel softball; playing to win

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2019
I just finished it. Highly entertaining description of the life of a travel softball dad, college recruiting and admissions, and some behind the scenes on the Hayley Woods and the Cal Nuggets. Has anyone read it? It was a surreal description of the live many of us are living.

Playing to Win Amazon product ASIN B08DL7ZJDX

May 18, 2019
Here is an interview he gave about travel softball:

Thank you for sharing. Good interview and hits on many of the key themes in the book. I can't stop thinking about it today. Was a great story well told and hit on many of the themes on inequality and the financial difficulties of travel sports for those without the means to support it.

Jul 14, 2018
It’s a great listen. It’s an Audible original, I don’t think there is a print edition.

The stuff about the rec league that doesn’t let a girl keep playing the same position if she gets too good at it was fascinating.

With two girls in a similar spot, my favorite part was comparing the college searches of his softball player and his NARP. Basically, his softball player committed in her junior year and had a great senior year, while his non-player stressed through applications and keeping her grades up. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Well, I listen to it. I am wondering why there isn't more comments/post. But I kind of know why. The truth can be painful. Or as Jack said,

I dont agree with everything he says but he has some very valid points.

I few of his harsh truths:

"When you are in a market with an ignorant consumer (parents) it is primed for chaos and exploitation and is very inefficient. The ignorance of the consumer means the market can't correct."

"If these parents put the same money, they spend on youth sports into a 529 college saving plan they would be way ahead of the game."

He also says that markets (youth sports) need to be regulated. A governing body to rate and regulate. I have said before if the IRS audited a couple of these big Orgs., finances would become much more transparent. Most teams have zero accounting of the moneys available to be seen by the consumer. (parents) And with Venmo reporting transactions now we will see good ole fashion cash making a comeback.

Youth sports have become the recreation for only well to do. There are 12U teams that will cost a family well over $20,000 a year to be part of. IMO, that is stupid. I don't have all the answers, but we could cut cost by avoiding all the unnecessary travel. Why should 140 teams from SoCal fly to CO in July to play each other?

I guess until parents say NO! No coach, we don't want to go across the country again. Let's just play local tourneys (which there are many) and our DDs will write the emails and send the videos and attend some camps. We are wise enough to know that our DDs are not P5 bound and if they are that talented the P5s will find them.

Jul 31, 2015
Youth sports have become the recreation for only well to do. There are 12U teams that will cost a family well over $20,000 a year to be part of. IMO, that is stupid. I don't have all the answers, but we could cut cost by avoiding all the unnecessary travel. Why should 140 teams from SoCal fly to CO in July to play each other?

I guess until parents say NO! No coach, we don't want to go across the country again. Let's just play local tourneys (which there are many) and our DDs will write the emails and send the videos and attend some camps. We are wise enough to know that our DDs are not P5 bound and if they are that talented the P5s will find them.

It's a great book, laying out how the youth sports industry plays on parents hopes and fears, and pocketbooks. Michael Lewis is a talented writer.

The Alliance is an attempt to curtail the craziness, counting local tourneys towards the points system which drives invitations to nationals. Makes much more sense than chasing PGF births.

And Colorado is just a boondoggle; only reason it's well-attended is because it's been around a long time. Totally inefficient way to recruit; colleges don't like it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
It's a great book, laying out how the youth sports industry plays on parents hopes and fears, and pocketbooks. Michael Lewis is a talented writer.

The Alliance is an attempt to curtail the craziness, counting local tourneys towards the points system which drives invitations to nationals. Makes much more sense than chasing PGF births.

And Colorado is just a boondoggle; only reason it's well-attended is because it's been around a long time. Totally inefficient way to recruit; colleges don't like it.
I don't agree with Alliance "attempting to curtail the craziness". Just going about it in a slightly less obvious way. For example, their 16U qualifier in AZ this past weekend was almost all So Cal teams. And their 14U qualifier this weekend in Las Vegas has 28 teams from So Cal and two AZ teams. What? No fields in So Cal????? Think it has more to do about $$$$. This is what I call completely unnecessary travel. The economy is struggling, gas is $5 a gallon and rooms are $150 a night. WHY? 28teams x 16 players x $800 (approx. travel, food and lodging cost) = $358,400. And for the climate change enthusiasts, think about the carbon footprint. LOL

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06