Interesting audio book about Travel Softball by Michael Lewis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I just listened to it this weekend, and it was a good, albeit sad listen knowing what happened to Dixie earlier this year.

One point that I wish was made a little more explicitly (it was implied, maybe accidentally, when discussing Operation Varsity Blues) is this: It may not be fair to compare dollars spent on youth sports to the cost of college itself. The argument is always that parents could just save/invest that money and they could pay for college themselves. That's true! But the book discusses how much easier it is for athletes to get into college in the first place. So parents are not "buying" a scholarship that's worth less than what they spend. They're also buying a greater likelihood of their child getting accepted to their preferred schools in the first place.

I don't know that that completely justifies the insane dollars some families spend, but it's not necessarily as simple as just spending money when you could just save it. That argument also ignores the value of the experience itself.

Oct 4, 2018
I just listened to it this weekend, and it was a good, albeit sad listen knowing what happened to Dixie earlier this year.

One point that I wish was made a little more explicitly (it was implied, maybe accidentally, when discussing Operation Varsity Blues) is this: It may not be fair to compare dollars spent on youth sports to the cost of college itself. The argument is always that parents could just save/invest that money and they could pay for college themselves. That's true! But the book discusses how much easier it is for athletes to get into college in the first place. So parents are not "buying" a scholarship that's worth less than what they spend. They're also buying a greater likelihood of their child getting accepted to their preferred schools in the first place.

I don't know that that completely justifies the insane dollars some families spend, but it's not necessarily as simple as just spending money when you could just save it. That argument also ignores the value of the experience itself.

If you don't mind saving my 20 minutes of frustration searching google, can you please tell me what college she went to and what happened to her?

It only took me 2 minutes to find: https://www.pomona.edu/news/2021/05/28-remembering-dixie-lewis-24

Oct 4, 2018

Fine point.

Not to mention that my DDs love, love, love playing softball. They love games and hanging with teammates between games. I'm willing to spend my money on that, regardless of college.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Is it better to spend our time wisely?
Or
Spend money wisely?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Not to mention that my DDs love, love, love playing softball. They love games and hanging with teammates between games. I'm willing to spend my money on that, regardless of college.

This does seem to be overlooked in these discussions.

It's always framed as "chasing a college scholarship," and while that's part of it, it's mostly parents spending money so their child can do something she loves to do. That seems like a pretty good way to spend money. Just don't go crazy and mortgage your future doing it.

Aug 6, 2013
We use DD's travel as a chance to go new places - "mini-vacations", sometimes "real week long vacations" if you want to call them that. With her team we got to go to Boulder, Huntington Beach (never been to CA), NJ (where we took a side trip to Philly which I had also never visited), Clearwater FL, Orlando FL, Chattanooga TN (Dalton GA actually), Myrtle Beach - the list goes on. I got to see new things and experience new places at each of these locations all while watching my kid play the sport she loves and wants to play 4 more years after high school. Could she play regionally? Sure. Does she want to go to college in our great state of VA? Nope so playing regionally does nothing for her exposure to be seen by coaches in the area she really wants to go to college in..... We pay to have these experiences together as a family and also to get her the opportunity to be seen so she can possibly continue to play beyond high school.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes