Medicine Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
I am always looking for something to change up the workout routine for daughter and her friends so it doesn't get stale. I have very good friend who is a trainer and has helped them with the their weight training/conditioning program. Anyhow, the other day while in the garage i had brainy idea and thought i'd pick the brain of you very knowledgeable people.....

My thought is........have them stand in their batting positions, but instead of holding a bat, hold a medicine ball. Instead of swinging a bat, they would come through the strike zone with the medicine ball and at where the point is they'd make contact, release the med ball to me standing in front of them?.Thinking it would work out the core, legs and arms......Thoughts?

Dec 15, 2009
at high school practices we do a simliar drill. we have a batting cycle. you start with the medicine ball and get in your batting stance. you swing the medicine ball as if you were batting, but we don't release the ball for fear of injuries. and after 5-10 mins of that we move on to tees hitting different areas of the strike zone and finally into a batting cage.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I suggest 4-6 lbs med balls for girls 8-14 and 6-10 lbs for girls 14 + .

Med balls are a GREAT tool for developping upper body explosivess. It is plyometrics for the upper body to a certain extent. Any kind of med ball throws (soccer throw, 1-arm throw, side throw, overhead, chest pass, batting, etc...) are good!

Pick 3-4 exercises, 2 sets of 8-10 throws for each, twice a week, all done explosively. Great results to follow.

Marc

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves