Making the NPF viable

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Ok, so in the last weekly newsletter I threw out an idea for why the NPF softball league seems to keep struggling, and a suggestion for fixing it. Now it's your turn.

Do you think the idea of splitting the season, and leaving the months of June and July open (when their primary fan base is playing their own games) is valid? Or is it fine the way it is?

Oct 18, 2009
There's only 4 teams and they are in Akron, Chicago, Tennesse and Pride (Florida?). Unless you plan to fly there 95% of the fan base probably won't ever be able to even go to a game. They really need a California team and a NY area team. Those have the biggest population and probably have the most potential for drawing larger crowds.

Even if they just kept it as they were and just had night games and some TV exposure like a regular Thursday night ESPN doubleheader or something like that I really think they could start getting their fan base excited and watching even during the travel softball months.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I wish I had the answerbut I don't. I had "discovered" our local team (Riptide) and was spreading the word, getting more people excited about them when they folded. The experience at those games for girls (and coaches) and families was fantastic! the sport being played at it's highest level and cheap tickets! It was not unreasonable to bring a team or a group. And the fans get to meet the players after the games. I'll never forget how excited my 8 YO was when she came running back to me with a ball that a player threw to her when they had finished warming up!

I'm thinking the key to advancing the NPF may be in the advancement of Fastpitch itself. Even though we know all about it, most of the country is probably ignorant of the sport. "Softball" is what lot's of guys played in college with a keg in each dugout and also is played recreationally after work with players in varying stages of physical competence. It's Baseball Lite. Or it's that women's sport played by Manly, East German Women.

We all know that's not Fastpitch- it is a very different game.

I think promoting the WCWS is the best way to advance the sport. It seems to me that each year the coverage of the WCWS gets better. If they could get some network coverage, even better. Televised times when kids can watch it would be good too (like College basketball), even if it's yesterday's game. Also after it's over, making CDs available of the playoffs (at least semi-finals and finals).

Even if they just kept it as they were and just had night games and some TV exposure like a regular Thursday night ESPN doubleheader or something like that I really think they could start getting their fan base excited and watching even during the travel softball months.
I agree. that would be great!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
NPF needs to make a deal with MLB just like the NBA and WNBA have. The WNBA has been losing millions for years but that doesn't stop the NBA owners from funding it. They are aware of the great PR it gives the men's game to support the ladies' game. If the NPF doesn't want to give over that level of control, then it will be doomed to staying at or below its current level.

May 13, 2008
NPF needs to make a deal with MLB just like the NBA and WNBA have. The WNBA has been losing millions for years but that doesn't stop the NBA owners from funding it. They are aware of the great PR it gives the men's game to support the ladies' game. If the NPF doesn't want to give over that level of control, then it will be doomed to staying at or below its current level.

A lot of NPF games were streamed live on the MLB site last year. I'm not sure what kind of partnership they have, but there is something in place.

Jan 24, 2009
"Do you think the idea of splitting the season, and leaving the months of June and July open (when their primary fan base is playing their own games) is valid? Or is it fine the way it is"

It is apparently not fine the way it is. The idea of playing when the potential audience could watch is worth looking at. Even at the local level, my family would go and watch the HS games on a regular basis, if not for the fact that we are at the softball/baseball diamonds every evening during the season.

Fastpitch had a pretty decent reply imo. I know that I for one would love to watch more televised games, but can't seem to find them.

I am not sure that MLB holds the answer. While not 'struggling', they don't have the fan appeal they used to. The national pastime is now football. While I'm not a rabid fan I do admit that the NFL has their act together in terms of product and attracting men, women, and children as fans. People no longer have the time to sit thru a leisurely baseball game even if they wanted to.

As much as I love a game that is not on a clock, I think if NPF televised games that were 65-75 minutes long like tournament ball, the shorter fast-paced games might be action-intense enough to be worth watching by even the casual sports fan or average blue collar Joe. More action in less time has worked for the NFL. MLB will continue to lose ground with long slow games and a season that is too long. Most people do not watch MLB games any more. They watch highlight reels. So no...do not follow the MLB dinosaur. Set up a better model that MLB might one day follow to expand or re-energize their fan base.

My 2 pfennig.
VW

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
I think part of the trouble is where the teams are. We had a team in Philadelphia, the proble was the team played an 1 1/2 away in Allentown. That makes it tough to get there after work from this area. I do understand that there are not a lot of ballparks set up to handle the amount of people they want to attract but it was just to far. The other thing is that people want a rooting interest, a stake in the game, watching Akron vs. the Pride on a Thursday night won't do it for most. I think what makes the College World Series so interesting is that you can pick up a team early on and follow them, I didn't know anything about Alabama, until I saw them play, then it was easy to root for them. I think continued coverage of that event will do more than anything the NFP could do.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Viewable content on TV will expose the game to a wider audience.

ESPN is always looking for inexpensive coverage content. LL baseball and softball are great for both sides - inexpensive content for the Network and exposure and some revenue for Little League.

Make a cable deal to have the games broadcast is a big 1st step.

May 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I definitely agree that a TV deal would be the best option. As we it gets closer to the WCWS more games are on ESPNU and CBS College Sports which is great. If the NPF has a partnership with MLB then why not get some games on that network. The problem with baseball is the games are too long so they need to be real careful about not extending the games.

What about the fact that many softball games are low scoring? I think people would rather watch a game with more offense than 0-1 pitcher's duel. Baseball has made a comeback (good or bad) because of the many homeruns and big hits.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Lots of great suggestions here. Hope someone from NPF is listening and taking notes. I have a question, though. Do you think more TV exposure will translate to more people going to the games? I still think there's a conflict between the core fan base and their availability to attend.

On the other hand, Chicago Blackhawks attendance began to soar once Old Man Wirtz passed away and his son Rocky put the games on TV. It's definitely a good way to sample before you buy. I guess the question really is, after sampling do we think enough people will buy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid