Is this a viable method for catching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Maddie hasn't tried the knee-down stance. Her first opinion is that it's limiting in mobility. We shall see what happens next year in college if her coaches tell her this is what she needs to do. Maddie's early mechanics were very much in line with NECC instruction, but she has evolved in her own direction over the years as she has figured out what works for her. Some things I think she could do better, but my opinion doesn't carry much weight with her these days - LOL. She is 100% responsible for her results on the field, and people seem pretty pleased.
I know the feeling. :LOL: I'm not a whole lot older than Maddie (20 versus 17). So I know how she feels. You can't tell us anything and we have to figure it out on our own. Also, at that age, we may listen to what our parents say but we don't put much thought to it. We'll sooner listen to our coaches.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I know the feeling. :LOL: I'm not a whole lot older than Maddie (20 versus 17). So I know how she feels. You can't tell us anything and we have to figure it out on our own. Also, at that age, we may listen to what our parents say but we don't put much thought to it. We'll sooner listen to our coaches.

I pay people to tell Maddie want I want to say - LOL. That's not totally true any more. At this point, she knows more about the game, how to play it, and what works best for her than I do. I'm happy that she gets to work with some really great coaches.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I think that the best catcher right now is Kinzie Hansen from OU. IMO, she implements the KD catching perfectly. No runners on, she'll often set up KD. With runners on, the entire movement to the pitch is nearly identical, but doesn't transition to knee down until seeing that the pitch is NOT in the dirt. Her movement is stellar.

I like that the movement is late in the pitch, quick, and always the same.

Here is a highlight video of the 2nd inning. It's nice to see the variation in setups with runner on vs not.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Well thinking it through,
the knee down starting position is not new, its been around for decades. Just some people exhibiting it now and brought attention to it.

Think we can see there's a difference between starting in two leg crouch position and reacting to the pitch to then one knee or two knees.
vs
starting knee down from the beginning.

Starting one knee down is not the same, because it's starting with limiting the ability to move/react to the pitch.
(*this is what I disagree with doing)

Reacting to a pitch from a two-legged crouch and dropping one knee on a low pitch is a common reaction that a lot of catchers do out of habit. Some go all the way to one knee and some just lower it a little.

👉From crouch to one knee is a normal movement catchers do going into their throw from one knee.

Last edited:

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Well thinking it through,
the knee down starting position is not new, its been around for decades. Just some people exhibiting it now and brought attention to it.

Think we can see there's a difference between starting in two leg crouch position and reacting to the pitch to then one knee or two knees.
vs
starting knee down from the beginning.

Starting one knee down is not the same, because it's starting with limiting the ability to move/react to the pitch.
(*this is what I disagree with doing)

Reacting to a pitch from a two-legged crouch and dropping one knee on a low pitch is a common reaction that a lot of catchers do out of habit. Some go all the way to one knee and some just lower it a little.

👉From crouch to one knee is a normal movement catchers do going into their throw from one knee.
I never realized it's been around for a long time.

I'm starting to do the standard crouch and then going down to the one knee as the pitch is coming in. I even started consulting with our new catching recruit and working with her in using the knee down method since she has been using it for a lot longer than I have. I'm working with her on her framing since she's not a great framer.

Something I'm noticing is I'm having a little difficulty in throwing because the load to throw feels unnatural as I'm not used to throwing the way you have to from your knees. Especially the throw to second. I want to fight the urge to throw from my feet since that's what I'm used to.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I never realized it's been around for a long time.

I'm starting to do the standard crouch and then going down to the one knee as the pitch is coming in. I even started consulting with our new catching recruit and working with her in using the knee down method since she has been using it for a lot longer than I have. I'm working with her on her framing since she's not a great framer.

Something I'm noticing is I'm having a little difficulty in throwing because the load to throw feels unnatural as I'm not used to throwing the way you have to from your knees. Especially the throw to second. I want to fight the urge to throw from my feet since that's what I'm used to.
Good observation about weight distribution!

Best thing keep working on developing better performance.
👍

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Good observation about weight distribution!

Best thing keep working on developing better performance.
👍
I am working on getting better at using it. I've noticed a few of my initial concerns about converting have been unfounded. Especially in receiving and moving. I still have a little trouble getting to the high pitch if I am already on my knee. But, it's a matter of reading the pitch much like I need to read if the pitch is going to be in the dirt if I have no knee on the ground.

Blocking has been a non-issue for me using knee down versus no knee down. Matter of fact...I find blocking a little easier knee down.

The new thing for me now is working on fielding bunts coming from my knee down. I imagine it isn't going to be any more difficult to move my knee an extra few inches from knee down to get to standing for running over to field the ball and make a strike to first.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I believe in explosive mobility/agility!
From a crouch starting with 2 strong legs and balance!
Explosive Reaction to the ball to transition immediately into our throws.
All directions! With Range!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
From my mindset,
What I can do is share and express my commitment to expectations and standards on the field. The standard of performance and responsibilities. Best we can do is think through these things and make smart decisions!

Example
In other threads and posts we see people sharing video of catchers catching pop-ups that are only marginally high. Small pop-ups. Those quick reaction little pop ups. Look through them there's an assortment of astounding catchers making great plays.

🙂Let's make more of those outs by being ready to burst out of our crouch in any direction!

For consideration~
Test catchers (or any defense player) starting one knee down vs. Using both legs and getting to the ball.
There is an answer in that discovery😎

There are even some coaches who teach the defense to hop....
ya kno'
the little defensive hop to make sure defense is ready for action....
'Ready for action' 👍

Last edited: