Is this a viable method for catching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
From my mindset,
What I can do is share and express my commitment to expectations and standards on the field. The standard of performance and responsibilities. Best we can do is think through these things and make smart decisions!

Example
In other threads and posts we see people sharing video of catchers catching pop-ups that are only marginally high. Small pop-ups. Those quick reaction little pop ups. Look through them there's an assortment of astounding catchers making great plays.

🙂Let's make more of those outs by being ready to burst out of our crouch in any direction!

For consideration~
Test catchers (or any defense player) starting one knee down vs. Using both legs and getting to the ball.
There is an answer in that discovery😎

There are even some coaches who teach the defense to hop....
ya kno'
the little defensive hop to make sure defense is ready for action....
'Ready for action' 👍
Figured I'd update quickly. Getting ready to go for some BP. I've been using one knee down since Friday and I'm starting to come around and am actually liking it. Did 150 pitches, Friday. I messed up on blocking a few pitches because I wasn't used to moving around like that. Saturday, I did 200 pitches and blocking, catching, and framing are getting better. I'm also using a wrist weight and I would like to get ahold of a weighted glove if I can find one for a lefty. ;) Today, I did 250 pitches. I'm starting to find a way throwing is going to work for me. I still have to perfect it, but it's getting better. I have to find the right mix of strength and accuracy. I wonder if I should start using a wrist weight for on my throwing side as well as my glove side. What do you think?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Figured I'd update quickly. Getting ready to go for some BP. I've been using one knee down since Friday and I'm starting to come around and am actually liking it. Did 150 pitches, Friday. I messed up on blocking a few pitches because I wasn't used to moving around like that. Saturday, I did 200 pitches and blocking, catching, and framing are getting better. I'm also using a wrist weight and I would like to get ahold of a weighted glove if I can find one for a lefty. ;) Today, I did 250 pitches. I'm starting to find a way throwing is going to work for me. I still have to perfect it, but it's getting better. I have to find the right mix of strength and accuracy. I wonder if I should start using a wrist weight for on my throwing side as well as my glove side. What do you think?
Why are you NOW using a wrist weight for your glove side?
Do you think a saggy glove/arm was a previous issue for you?
Just because someone would be taking a knee to do framing or receive pitches,
I do not see that as being a complicated issue transitioning from a two-legged Crouch to one-legged Crouch just to reiceve the pitch. Sometimes catchers as well drop to both knees in preparation for a pitch like a drop going into the dirt and still go ahead and receive it in the air and frame while on both knee's.

To the point of throwing~
Throwing involves body mobility /agility~
There is important mechanics involved with the body that should be being paid attention to.
For instance if you look at the video I posted even when catchers go to one knee or two knees to then throw, there is a pivot first
( right hand thrower)
from the left side pivoting forward into throw.
That is more of a body movement getting hip, torso and shoulders forward into a throw. That complex of mechanics generates energy to then throw on a knee down.
Generate that bursting energy of your body into your throw so that you are not only throwing with your right side( back side) or only throwing with your arm.
If you can post videos can have further suggestion for you.
If you'd like to send me a private message video you can do that also I can give you more detail if you like.

Pay attention
*if your body is already at a pivot when you are receiving the throw
(Left side is already forward catching the pitch)
Hard to create the first initial pivot forward.
You will only have the backside to push and rotate.
Brings up this important point~
* the beginning of the throw is actually the front side (which for right-handed thrower is )
*the left side of our body pivoting into throw
generating energy into the direction we're throwing. Which lines up the beginning of our throw so our hips, torso and shoulders can actuate the mechanics of then bringing the arm through.
Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021
One knee down has been the latest method catchers have been using. Watch any MLB game. Someone might have posted an article about this one her or on social media. My DD catches with a knee down and on her butt to get low depending on the pitch and the situation. Be open to change and I wouldn't be surprised if Jay has been researching this method.

Here's one article I found with a google machine search. Do your own research and see what you find.

https://learn.stoutcatching.com/blog/how-beneficial-is-one-knee

Look up dominating the dish on Facebook she has a ton of info for catchers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 26, 2021

Wrist weights on the glove side are a great tool, but I would not put a weight on your throwing wrist. Overload training with throwing can be done with weighted balls but you’re typically not throwing full effort with those in most throwing programs. Full effort with overload can be harmful.

Since you’re just starting out with throwing from
KD, as you get better with sequence and timing you will see it improve. Just like throwing from standing, starts from the lower half getting going ahead of the upper.

If you’re interested in further advancing throwing mechanics, High Level Throwing is an awesome program. They have a Catcher throwing E-book for $20 with great info and video links: https://www.highlevelthrowing.com/product/catcher-throwing-book/

Also have a Catcher specific strength & mobility training e-book for $40 that you might like for the off-season: https://www.highlevelthrowing.com/product/16-week-catcher-strength/

My DD’s travel team has benefited greatly from the HLT program. The creator Austin Wasserman consults for many collegiate programs as well as pros and Team USA. Incredible value. He does clinics around the country you might find value in attending as well if near you.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Has anyone taken notice that this catcher
(the OP)
Has already been playing in college before this new coach came to her team?
Said what she WAS DOING WAS WORKING!
Now because of a new minded coach the player has to struggle through a learning curve while she's already in college?
That's not a little change when it comes to someone used the throwing from their feet to figuring out how to have an execute pop time worthy of college level. Because the utilization of the body is so completely limited by this.

This similar conundrum affects batters too.
Would say it's about
50/50 whether it helps batters when coaches change their stance.

Apr 26, 2021
Has anyone taken notice that this catcher (the OP)
Has already been playing in college before this new coach came to her team?
Now because of a new minded coach the player has to struggle through a learning curve while she's already in college?
That's not a little change when it comes to someone used the throwing from their feet to figuring out how to have an execute pop time worthy of college level. Because the utilization of the body is so completely Limited.

This conundrum affects batters and I would say it's about fifty-fifty whether it helps batters when coaches change their stance.

Can’t speak for everyone but seems like she has made the choice to explore this further. Her responses suggest she has done a lot of her own research and is trialing it now. I’m personally impressed by her willingness to seek all kinds of input and try it for herself. Leaving no stone unturned in her personal journey to grow and develop.

Worst case she learns about herself and what she doesn’t like and she continues to perform from a traditional crouch. The experience will give her well developed reasoning for her choice, especially when she explains to the new coach. Sounds like she is finding some benefit to KD and may be adding another arrow to her quiver. Best case she finds it really works for her over time and elevates her game.

My personal opinion is that catchers can be effective from both a crouch and KD. Comes down to how their body uniquely moves, how much practice they put into the style, their comfort & confidence in game settings and ultimately how they perform. It’s a personal choice and I applaud her for being diligent in her exploration.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Can’t speak for everyone but seems like she has made the choice to explore this further. Her responses suggest she has done a lot of her own research and is trialing it now. I’m personally impressed by her willingness to seek all kinds of input and try it for herself. Leaving no stone unturned in her personal journey to grow and develop.

Worst case she learns about herself and what she doesn’t like and she continues to perform from a traditional crouch. The experience will give her well developed reasoning for her choice, especially when she explains to the new coach. Sounds like she is finding some benefit to KD and may be adding another arrow to her quiver. Best case she finds it really works for her over time and elevates her game.

My personal opinion is that catchers can be effective from both a crouch and KD. Comes down to how their body uniquely moves, how much practice they put into the style, their comfort & confidence in game settings and ultimately how they perform. It’s a personal choice and I applaud her for being diligent in her exploration.

Agree about learning from choice....
By the time she made the college team she had made a choice and it was working.

Care to comment on the point of the post you tagged? Changing something that already Works while putting player into a learning curve in a college environment?

This would seem like a better situation if the OP was talking about how the coach was actually helping her pop time. But so far we don't get to hear that part. Teaching someone how to throw and maneuver from a limited position.

Btw I've already complimented her diligence and paying attention and effort towards figuring this out in previous post

Last edited:
May 9, 2017
A month ago, we got a new catching coach. Our old coach made a move to become a head coach at a Division 2 school. This new coach came from coaching catchers at a Division 3 school outside of my home state.

So, the new coach is watching me work with our pitchers, working recieving, and throwing drills. She doesn't like my recieving method. I use a regular catcher's crouch for recieving, I drop to my knees to block, and I stand to throw the ball back to the pitcher or if I have to make a throw to a base to get a runner. The method has worked for me so far.

This morning, it's myself, another coach, and the new coach in the softball/baseball building and they're throwing balls at me. I'm catching them in my usual method. New coach tells me she would like to see me start recieving from my knees more. I'm already not a fan of recieving from my knee and being 5'2...I need all the height I can get.
I know from watching Jay at NECC, he's said about recieving from your crouch, block from your knees, and throw standing. Entering my seventh season playiing the position, what I've been doing hasn't steered me wrong.

Is recieving from your knees a viable method for catching? Would it be a good idea for me to at least try to get more comfortable doing it this way? Has the NECC changed to recieving from the knees?

Last season I had my daughter (14u) going with a knee down for stability and getting the low stuff. The biggest thing was timing just so she wasn’t tipping pitches. As far as throwing runners out it was a pretty balanced mix. Especially on low pitches they were focusing on making the throw from their knees. The head coach was a former minor league pitcher and also had a guy come in that trained pros in the minors and you kinda take a “step” on your knees but the majority of power was coming from the hips and almost a falling forward motion. It definitely doesn’t hurt to try new methods and you may find you prefer it once you get more comfortable plus it shows the coach you’re willing to BE coached.

Apr 26, 2021
Agree about learning from choice....
By the time she made the college team she had made a choice and it was working.

Care to comment on the point of the post you tagged? Changing something that already Works while putting player into a learning curve in a college environment?

This would seem like a better situation if the OP was talking about how the coach was actually helping her pop time. But so far we don't get to hear that part. Teaching someone how to throw and maneuver from a limited position.

Btw I've already complimented her diligence and paying attention and effort towards figuring this out in previous post

I don’t see an issue with the change & learning curve in this case because she can always fall back on what she is already good at. The KD stance does not force her to never use the traditional crouch. Just gives her an additional option - if it works for her.

If the coach is forcing the change - that’s an issue. If the coach is promoting the change because they believe in it, it’s worth trying it.

Great players are always tweaking and adjusting. Some big changes and some small. Any amount of change creates a learning curve. Winter is the best time to explore bigger changes and learning curves. If she was mid-Spring/Summer, might not be the best time to try a new stance. Saw

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Quick update...

KD is working well. Still trying to figure out which knee to put down when I'm waiting for the pitch to come.

I'm still trying to get used to driving with my hips when I have both knees on the ground. But it's getting better. I'm getting the throw to third with few issues. But I'm still throwing a little short to second.

I'm still working out the kinks for getting up quick enough to field a bunted ball or a ball hit foul that I can get to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812