Looking for The Experts for knowledge...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Sorry all. Just got back to the site.
1) Need a bit more information - did the runner on first base leave the bag before the ball was caught? Or did she tag up, leave the base when the ball was first touched, then come back to first? If it was the second scenario, the runner would have to be tagged off of the base to get the out. If it was the first scenario, you are executing a live ball appeal that the runner left the bag before the ball was caught. If this is the case, the umpire needs to know why the defense is touching the bag. Granted, it is usually very obvious since someone is yelling about getting the ball to the bag, etc. The best way to remedy this is to have your player tell the umpire "the runner left early" as they are tagging the bag. That way, there is no doubt about why the player is touching the bag.

The runner led off and took off. No tag up. The 2nd and 3rd base runners saw the play and stayed put. When I referenced caught I meant in the air caught as a line drive shot at the first baseman.

2) If I remember correctly, you coach fairly young kids...by rule, the umpire has the discretion to stop play when a player has a "serious" injury. Personally, with the younger kids, I will err on the side of caution and stop play earlier than I would with older kids. The umpire in your game chose not to stop play here. He is within the rules to do so, since it was still a live ball. when you questioned him on why play wasn't stopped, he probably should have given you an explanation as to why he chose not to stop play. To be honest, it could have been in the way you approached him...I can understand you being upset, but if you are calm and civil, you are much more likely to get an appropriate response. I'm not saying you were or were not, just making a point. As far as you asking the BU about the runners not tagging up, depending on the rule set, the coach cannot make a dead ball appeal, which is what you are doing. Simply tell one of your defensive players to approach the umpire and tell him/her that runner(s) did not tag up. At that point the umpire can rule on your appeal.
Hope this helps.

Sorry fro not clarifying when I approached the umpire..But unlike two years ago...I did wait until he finally called time to approach. My mistake was jumping up and standing in foul territory when seeing my 1st baseman focused on the ball having her elbow going into the pitchers throat. As far as injured....They both were laying on the ground dazed for about 10 seconds. It was about halfway through this time frame that the opposing coach realized time had not been called and re-started his runners who had advanced form 1 and 2 over to 2 and 3 where they stopped on to home. These two scored while my players were still sitting on the ground figuring out what had just happened. There was no tag up on the previous bases for the infield fly caught for an out. I will ask my players to make the appeal next time they get up from being dazed. lol....My point was runners did not tag up. Then at the advanced base stopped for at least three or more seconds as they too were looking at both players down on the ground. At that point was when I thought time would have been called. But I am not am umpire and do not know the details of this type of situation. I was more concerned for the players.
As far as the two not tagging up...I am not allowed an appeal after the play is over as long as it happens before the next pitch? This is me learning....:)

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Sorry all. Just got back to the site.

The runner led off and took off. No tag up. The 2nd and 3rd base runners saw the play and stayed put. When I referenced caught I meant in the air caught as a line drive shot at the first baseman.

Sorry fro not clarifying when I approached the umpire..But unlike two years ago...I did wait until he finally called time to approach. My mistake was jumping up and standing in foul territory when seeing my 1st baseman focused on the ball having her elbow going into the pitchers throat. As far as injured....They both were laying on the ground dazed for about 10 seconds. It was about halfway through this time frame that the opposing coach realized time had not been called and re-started his runners who had advanced form 1 and 2 over to 2 and 3 where they stopped on to home. These two scored while my players were still sitting on the ground figuring out what had just happened. There was no tag up on the previous bases for the infield fly caught for an out. I will ask my players to make the appeal next time they get up from being dazed. lol....My point was runners did not tag up. Then at the advanced base stopped for at least three or more seconds as they too were looking at both players down on the ground. At that point was when I thought time would have been called. But I am not am umpire and do not know the details of this type of situation. I was more concerned for the players.
As far as the two not tagging up...I am not allowed an appeal after the play is over as long as it happens before the next pitch? This is me learning....:)

Thanks for the additional info. Without a tag-up, assuming the umpire realized the runners didn't tag up, yeah, the runner on 1st should have been out. And if properly appealed, the others should have also been ruled out.

AFA the players, this is such a subjective issue and "guess" for the umpires, I wouldn't consider opining whether the ball should have been killed or not.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Thanks. Really looking to understand things. I am really trying to be better about knowing when to keep my mouth shut and when not too. An art not easily developed. :) LOL...Then again if I cannot laugh at myself then life is being taken too seriously. I do tend to apologize to the umps. In the case of the worry about the injured player I did apologize for questioning why he did not call time. However I did ask why the players were not ruled out after not tagging up and then advancing home and leaving the field of play.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Not sure how to take you comment. But thanks (I guess) and I do. BTW...Did your read the encyclopedia and remember it all when done? Sorry for the sarcasm but in reality there would be no forums like this if it were not for so many not completely understanding all things. I see it differently. What kind of coach would I be if I did not seek the expert opinions of those who know better than myself.

Sorry, not directed at you Crush or any specific poster, just a pet peeve. On the other hand, my bigger pet peeve is when the umpires don't know the rule book better than the coach. FWIW, I still have trouble recalling Volume F, which may account for my difficulty with the flex player rules.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Sorry, not directed at you Crush or any specific poster, just a pet peeve. On the other hand, my bigger pet peeve is when the umpires don't know the rule book better than the coach.

Me, too, but you would be surprised how many coaches think they know the rules better than the umpire when it is quite apparent that their source is the (enter pro baseball team here)'s game they saw on TV the previous weekend.:rolleyes:

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
.....I will ask my players to make the appeal next time they get up from being dazed. lol....

Any of your defensive players could have made the appeal. It does not have to be the ones involved in the play.

.....As far as the two not tagging up...I am not allowed an appeal after the play is over as long as it happens before the next pitch? This is me learning....:)

YOU, as the coach, cannot make a legal appeal in this situation. What you have here is a dead ball appeal. All that is required is for a defensive PLAYER to tell the umpire what is being appealed, It's not necessary to throw the ball to a base and touch the base or anything like that....but under ASA rules, that appeal has to come from a player.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
MTR....You are so correct here....When a plays happens and we do not understand why the call was made the way it was the first things I get it the contingency of parents who "know" the rules. And when I ask where their knowledge came from...The answer is 7 out of 10 times always baseball. I am constantly reminding people we are playing Softball.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach