Looking for The Experts for knowledge...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Momo'sDad, on a caught fly ball or line drive, when the base left is tagged with the ball in possession, it is not a non-force! It is a FORCE out. The throw just has to beat the runner coming back to tag-up or take themselves out of jeopardy.

Feb 3, 2011
Momo'sDad, on a caught fly ball or line drive, when the base left is tagged with the ball in possession, it is not a non-force! It is a FORCE out. The throw just has to beat the runner coming back to tag-up or take themselves out of jeopardy.

In his example, though, 02Crush specified that his runner had been caught leading off last year. Since he didn't state the opposing runner had taken a lead, I was given the impression that she did not. If she's on 1B when the batted ball is caught, there's no force, so the umpire was correct to call her safe.

I guess we need Coach to clarify what he saw, just to be sure.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
1) above. How in the world is a caught line-drive and a tag of the base when the runner is off the bag, not an out?
2) above. The runners did not tag up on a fly ball. They advanced and scored. The coach was right in that time should have been called when it was apparent the kids might be injured. I don't know how it was appealed, but an appeal should have been upheld if done legally.

1) Could be a couple of reasons. The runner may actually have tagged up, the OP is not clear on that point. If the runner did not tag up, the players failed to make it clear to the umpire that they were appealing the runner leaving the base early on the caught fly ball.

2) You or I were not there to see the extent or the circumstances of the collision. Just because players fall down is not always a reason to stop a live ball play. You are absolutely correct that an appeal should be ruled on when done LEGALLY. The description in the OP does not support that a legal appeal was made as I indicated in my initial reply.

Without any more information, or seeing this play, my first thought would be that these two umpires did almost everything correctly.

Feb 3, 2011
No. it's not. It is an appeal play. There is a difference.

Another excellent point. Just to make sure I understand the rule and the application, is 1B appealing that the runner left early? By rule, the infielder is supposed to verbalize any appeals, but I have seen cases where showing the ball in the glove and contact with the base along with raised eyebrows has been enough to draw an out call.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Another excellent point. Just to make sure I understand the rule and the application, is 1B appealing that the runner left early? By rule, the infielder is supposed to verbalize any appeals, but I have seen cases where showing the ball in the glove and contact with the base along with raised eyebrows has been enough to draw an out call.

A verbal is not required, but certainly makes things clearer. The defense must convey to the umpire what it is they are appealing. Often times, there are people yelling to throw the ball to such and such base or something similar so that the umpire knows what the appeal is for and can rule on it. When I am on the field and the defense throws the ball to a base for no apparent reason, I will ask what they are doing. That should make it clear to everybody what the appeal is for.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Greenmonsters, you're right, but for people who haven't spent a lot of time in the ASA fastpitch community and especially for newer coaches, just reading the book isn't enough. Many coaches need to have seen or experienced a particular situation in a game in order to understand a given rule or its application. I think the fact that an infielder makes a dead ball appeal is probably counter-intuitive for less experienced coaches who'd come in with the assumption that all appeals were to be made by the coach.

As for the 1st scenario, I don't know 02's full softball/baseball background, but in a non-force out situation, 9-year-olds are capable of being coached to understand why they have to make a tag, the same as we coach them never to just give themselves up by running into a tag. I'm just an outsider giving an opinion on that, though.

MomoD - I agree that sometimes situations that occur that you have to experience before you can fully understand the nuances even if you have read the rulebook. But, if any coach reads the rulebook, they should be pretty clear on WHO can make an appeal. Now if the question is about the flex and DP, I can understand that because I never understood it well enough to be confident I could apply it without shooting myself in the foot. The problem that many make initially (myself included) is that they assume they know the rules cuz they're "same as BB". I don't care if a coach embarasses him/herself, but its unacceptable and disrespectful to the game to not not teach your players the rules. Best advice I got from an umpire was to review the rulebook before every season starts because, even if you're a 15-year veteran, sometimes the rules are modified and, as you age up, sometimes you get forgetfull re the differences between the associations.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
1) above. How in the world is a caught line-drive and a tag of the base when the runner is off the bag, not an out?

To start, where does it state it was a line drive and that the runner left early? And as my buddy noted, was there an appeal made? I'm not doubting it was, but I wasn't there and there must be some indication the purpose of the move was to make an appeal. Usually, the entire team screaming "tag first base" will do it :)

2) above. The runners did not tag up on a fly ball. They advanced and scored. The coach was right in that time should have been called when it was apparent the kids might be injured. I don't know how it was appealed, but an appeal should have been upheld if done legally.

The coach MAY REQUEST time. Personally, I don't like the rule concerning stopping the play due to injury. How did any of use every survive games like this in the past? I do, however, understand it and apply it when it is apparent to me that the player(s) may need immediate medical attention. To some umpires, that is going to mean I've got to see a reason. A simple collision where neither player, at least to the best of our knowledge through the information offered, was not bleeding, knocked unconscious or broke any bones or suffered an life-threatening injury, is not cause to stop the game. Too many people, and I have experienced this numerous times, use this as an excuse. I have actually witnessed a player feign injury for the purpose of stopping the play, only to pop right up smiling when the umpire killed the ball.

To quote a public servant who was criticized for stopping a service people wanted, but was abused, "we don't have a problem doing this until someone makes it a problem". Again, not a big fan.

And also, as noted, a coach does not have the authority to make any appeal other than BOO.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Not sure how to take you comment. But thanks (I guess) and I do. BTW...Did your read the encyclopedia and remember it all when done? Sorry for the sarcasm but in reality there would be no forums like this if it were not for so many not completely understanding all things. I see it differently. What kind of coach would I be if I did not seek the expert opinions of those who know better than myself.

One of the absolutes, although not the most important by a longshot, that you commit to when you agree to coach a team is to read the rule book(s)/rule set governing the games/tournaments your team will be participating in. IMO, not doing this is the equivalent of a kid showing up for a game without a uniform or equipment. Although I like reading the rule books, I really enjoy not needing to have them down cold now that I now longer coach.

Just my 2 cents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach