Looking for some advice on HS ball because this dad is driving the struggle bus (Sorry another HS topic)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
The coach approached my daughter last night after practice to speak with her. She asked the coach "What does <starting pitcher> do that I don't, because THAT is what I'm going to work on because I'm tired of sitting and watching." He gave her the exact same answer he gave me. Told her that there really isn't anything she can do, the starter is the starter. He had also told her last week that she would FINALLY be pitching today, well he informed her last night that because the game was rained out, he will do his best to get her into today's game. For the record, they have games today, tomorrow and Thursday.

I know there are people who probably think I'm exaggerating here, and I honestly wish I was. This has been such a nightmare to sit and watch and then at night to try and keep my daughter's head in the game and motivated because she's miserable right now. I've never had her tell me she hates softball until this season.
I'm hoping your DD gets playing time this week. One of the pitchers on my DD's team pitched 0 pitches the first 7 games, but has been averaging 3.6 innings a game since then.

You mentioned this is his first year as HC. My rule of thumb has always been you need to give a coach 4 to 6 games to figure out their line-up and the pieces they have. On the other hand part of his job is to develop the bench. I know a HS coach who last year tied for first in their league, won 10 games by mercy rule, but should of given his backups more playing time. One of their starters got hurt in one of the last few games and they lost the first game of the sectional play-offs.

Does her club team practice during the HS season so she can get some time during the HS season she enjoys softball?

Jul 27, 2020
This coach should’ve told each girl that who tried out how he handles P’s and said we have a #1 and you will get ZERO time in the circle regardless of situation. Then let the other P play JV to get time in the circle. If they call them up so be it and eliminates that nonsense that she can’t play JV.

If he’s consistent, I’m sure it happens with all positions and when the AD or whoever sees the turnout or lack there of, maybe then they would say something.

Ultimately this girl will get zero circle time in two years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2019
@El Oso I’m sorry she isn’t getting to play more. My 9th grade year on JV I got 1 at bat in 20 games. No innings in the field. The players ahead of me were better. The coach said to OP’s DD that there wasn’t anything she could do. That really means “I think the other girl is better and I don’t see you closing that gap this season.” He may be right he may be wrong. Who knows. We aren’t at practice and haven’t ever seen the two kids.

When parents or players ask me about playing time I always say the same thing. “The minute I think you can help the team win I am going to put you in there”. This coach doesn’t see her helping the team win so she is in the bench. It sucks, but it is what it is. The only way to guarantee your kid playing time is to coach her yourself.

Jul 19, 2021
Forgive me if I missed it, but from what I've read, there were no statements regarding the coach being abusive or any other cues that the tears are from treatment of the player by the coach(es)??

The tears are from lack of playing time only?
Here is part of the OP since you're forgetting some things ...

What she did do quite a bit was DP/Flex almost the whole year and ended the season 3rd on the team in BA (.412) and in the top 5 in RBI and OBP. This year is a new coach and assistant coach. She's been working all off season to get stronger, throw faster, improve her pitching, etc. So far this year she's seen 0 pitching time during games She hit in 1 game and was 1-3 with an RBI and hasn't been up again. At practice she throws BP and because they're resting the starter she doesn't get to hit at practice. She comes home almost every day after practice ready to break down because the coaches do not let her practice positions in the field or at pitcher.

How anyone can defend this coach is baffling. Groupthink at it's best. Or they just didn't read/comprehend the OP.

Oct 26, 2019
Okay, so here's a different question for the ADs and HCs out there.

What if you have an incompetent coach who drives players away from the team? Over the last four seasons, including the 2020 season that wasn't, our HS team lost five TB players, all of whom said the reason for not playing was because they hated the coach. He has gotten worse with his forgetfulness over the last year to the point he just doesn't bother telling the umpires about substitutions anymore. Normally, the umps and our AC coach catch it before it costs us, but it's happened four times already this season in only five games. He fills out the lineup cards with the wrong numbers, so there's always confusion for the other team coaches the first time through the order.

One of the worst parts, though, is his refusal to use new technology for team communication. Recently, the district went to the Remind App to prevent any inappropriate texting between coaches and players, yet the HC refused to put the app on his phone because he thought he had to pay for "In-app purchases." It has gotten to the point where all communication runs through the AC now.

He's a 68-year-old former gym teacher, so I give him credit for wanting to stay involved. Sadly, he revealed to the team captains that he had cancer during the season last year and just finished treatments in February. Thankfully, he's in remission, but his treatments prevented the team from doing any extra workouts over the winter because he didn't have the energy. When the AC asked if he could run them, the coach's answer was no, he needed to be there.

How would you handle this situation?
We have replaced several coaches in my tenure for various reasons. If a coach consistently performs below the teams capabilities, and we try to work with that coach and they aren’t able to improve, then we definitely look to make a change. It’s always a gamble though because you better have someone in mind before you let go of the one you have. Softball at some places you are begging someone to coach.

Jul 19, 2021
I’m sorry she isn’t getting to play more. My 9th grade year on JV I got 1 at bat in 20 games. No innings in the field. The players ahead of me were better. The coach said to OP’s DD that there wasn’t anything she could do. That really means “I think the other girl is better and I don’t see you closing that gap this season.” He may be right he may be wrong. Who knows. We aren’t at practice and haven’t ever seen the two kids.
So my daughter is a sophomore and played on varsity last year. What she did do quite a bit was DP/Flex almost the whole year and ended the season 3rd on the team in BA (.412) and in the top 5 in RBI and OBP.

Hey towny you're comparing your 9th grade year (1st year of HS ball., ie ... zero HS experience) to a girl who played varsity last year and was 3rd in BA and Top 5 in RBI. Terrible comparison.

Oct 26, 2019
What she did do quite a bit was DP/Flex almost the whole year and ended the season 3rd on the team in BA (.412) and in the top 5 in RBI and OBP.

Hey towny you're comparing your 9th grade year to a girl who played varsity last year and was 3rd in BA and Top 5 in RBI. Terrible comparison. There goes your theory.
I’m not trying to argue with you. If you read my earlier posts I said the coach may be wrong by not playing her. That doesn’t change the fact that an AD isn’t going to get involved in that decision. If it’s a new coach they will likely get a few years to establish themselves. If they were my coach, and it was a bad few years, we would make a change.

Her options now are to make the best of it or quit.

Oct 26, 2019
So my daughter is a sophomore and played on varsity last year. What she did do quite a bit was DP/Flex almost the whole year and ended the season 3rd on the team in BA (.412) and in the top 5 in RBI and OBP.

Hey towny you're comparing your 9th grade year (1st year of HS ball., ie ... zero HS experience) to a girl who played varsity last year and was 3rd in BA and Top 5 in RBI. Terrible comparison.
The coach wasn’t there last year right? He doesn’t have that to go in just the practices this year. Which none of us are at.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA