Long Toss Workout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Thanks for all the great info on this. Lots of good advice and perspective and it gives me a good idea on the direction we will go with this. I always like Coach Pauly's info so thanks chrispots for the link.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD used long toss extensively starting at 14YO. It is a critical part of her workouts and directly responsible for her smooth motion, strong arm whip, and high 60's velocity in the circle. IMO no workout regimen is complete without it.

When we were at showcases she would "warm up" in the outfield behind the temp fences throwing from 100+ feet. We usually had no shortage of coaches when she took to the circle. :)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015
I've seen the long toss demonstrated and done two different ways. The first is as described here, let the ball go as high as needed, try to get extreme distance, stop when you can no longer reach the distance or your form breaks down.

The second is keeping the ball more on a line. I think the arbitrary maximum height of the ball was 10 feet in the article I read. Move back until you can no longer reach the catcher while keeping the arc of the ball under 10 feet and keeping your form.

Can someone with more experience explain the difference between the thoughts behind each and which one is better? Or are they just different versions of the same thing and both accomplish the goal?

Jul 2, 2013
Started doing some long toss with DD last night. We didn't push very far out but when she got back to 40' she couldn't stop talking about how it felt like she was really close. She also said she wanted to do it every time we pitched. I told her we would work it in to some of her workouts.

Just another example of great info from DFP that will help DD develop her potential.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
I've seen the long toss demonstrated and done two different ways. The first is as described here, let the ball go as high as needed, try to get extreme distance, stop when you can no longer reach the distance or your form breaks down.

The second is keeping the ball more on a line. I think the arbitrary maximum height of the ball was 10 feet in the article I read. Move back until you can no longer reach the catcher while keeping the arc of the ball under 10 feet and keeping your form.

Can someone with more experience explain the difference between the thoughts behind each and which one is better? Or are they just different versions of the same thing and both accomplish the goal?

I had the exact same question. In the video I watched with Monica Abbott in close she threw more on a straight line and the farther back she went the more arc she put on the ball. Look in the link at the beginning of this thread and Coach Pauly explains why he says to throw it high.

I am thinking that throwing the ball higher as you increase the distance has some relation of the angle of the body and the whip. Perhaps it is just about the need to pull faster thru the whip in order to achieve the distance. If you can do this then when you return to 43" and your "pull" over time gets stronger/faster then that is where you will see your speed increase.

Coach Pauly also has a correlation of distance in this drill to pitching speed. It is right on with my daughter's distance and speed.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Do pople do this w a walk through motion or from a stationary pitching motion? Weve done some upto about 65 ft but used the walk through motion

Jul 4, 2012
What about getting brush when they have such a high arc? I would think that the release point would change which would be impossible when trying to get a high arc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad