Pitching work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 18, 2021
Hey guys, how many days a week do you work your pitchers? I usually throw with my daughter 4 days per week with at least 2 days being long toss days. My daughter is 14 and is topping out at 60mph now. Always looking to add speed. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 15, 2019
California
Don't know if she already does strength training, but if not, that can help her continue her growth. Evaluating her mechanics to better refine them is always something to look at.

May 17, 2012
Hey guys, how many days a week do you work your pitchers? I usually throw with my daughter 4 days per week with at least 2 days being long toss days. My daughter is 14 and is topping out at 60mph now. Always looking to add speed. Any suggestions?

It seems like you have it covered. I would suggest over/under training with weighted balls if you haven't incorporated that. Look at the research as it's very specific on the weight above and below for optimal results.

Jul 18, 2021
It seems like you have it covered. I would suggest over/under training with weighted balls if you haven't incorporated that. Look at the research as it's very specific on the weight above and below for optimal results.

We have done some work with the weighted/light balls. And she just started working with a personal trainer about two months ago, so really just started strength training. Just wanted to make sure I’m on the right path, the velocity roller coaster is something that drives me crazy. Will throw hard one week, then the next velo could be down 3-4 mph. Frustrating

Jul 18, 2021
Is she up and down velocity in games or just practice?

Practice mostly. Of course she will have games where she looks like she is throwing harder then others and some slower than others. But I try to clock her every few weeks while we are out throwing and it seems velo is constantly up and down.

Nov 18, 2022
We rarely clock in practice- typically game only and will usually get numbers at the beginning, middle , and end of the game. My DD always throws harder in game which is why we stopped clocking in practice. Sometimes she will pull the radar out if she is working on something new with off speed stuff

Jul 18, 2021
We rarely clock in practice- typically game only and will usually get numbers at the beginning, middle , and end of the game. My DD always throws harder in game which is why we stopped clocking in practice. Sometimes she will pull the radar out if she is working on something new with off speed stuff

Good points. I think I will try this

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Nothing but love, but you gotta stop the clocking her during a game. At this stage of her development, you should be as far away from her possible...preferably down the LF line near the fence.

During a game, she has to be thinking about only one thing: the pitch she is throwing. That's what "getting into the zone" means...completely shutting out everything around you and being completely, totally in the moment. She can't do this if you are standing behind the fence with a speedgun.

At practices, she should be working on (1) speed, (2) movement, and (3) location.

At a practice, my DD would work either exclusively on speed or exclusively on movement. At the end of each and every practice, we would always work on location.

Jul 18, 2021
What does a normal speed week for everyone look like? We long pitch/toss twice per week. Usually on those days we do a weighted/light ball routine. Always throw a few pitches afterward to work on “cutting it loose” and also dedicate time to hitting her spots. We usually throw another couple days focused more on location, changing speeds and movement pitches. Is this pretty much on par with everyone else’s week?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles