Last High School Game for a 2022; Need to Vent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
it wasn’t “evolving” - she used to be the catcher and then she wasn’t. no capiche, but you are free to have your own opinion.
Ok, nevermind that the OP described it herself as a declining and deteriorating situation. I know you've been following this thread from the beginning.

"A little background. DD is a catcher and began at C for about half the games in 9th grade, about 3/4 of the games in 10th grade (our runner-up year) and all games last year", "Starting around 1/4 through the season, HC started playing DD as the DP and letting a freshman catch. Nothing was ever said to DD as to why she was being edged out. Eventually, DD spoke to her and she said, "Oh I didn't know you wanted to catch. OK, I'll get you some time in." After that conversation, she caught two Region Games where there was never going to be an issue of whether we would win or not and that's it." and "the only kid whose role was diminished from starter to benchwarmer over the course of the season."

Not exactly a light switch scenario in my mind, more of an evolving (up & down) situation is how I see it but as you say...you are free to have your own opinion.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Let me ask this to those that think in the OP’s and similar situations there is some kind of nefarious intent by the coach to play an inferior player in the place of their senior DD.
Or perhaps the accusation is that the coach is incompetent and has no idea how to set a lineup?

Do you really think complaining to said coach would make the situation better?

If a coach is willing to do something like that I would bet they would be willing to bench the kid after mom and dad said their peace.

The main question of the OP was should she speak to the coach. Knowing many coaches I can say that is a BAD idea. It will almost always start and end with “I will not talk to you about playing time”.

I’m not saying that coaches don’t make crappy or boneheaded decisions. But they are the coach and most of the time they have the players and teams best interests in mind.
And in a case where they don’t, well good luck in thinking that your input will help right the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2021
Is your daughter a senior now?

I think there's a difference with pitchers that doesn't apply with to a position player. Pitchers are much easier to evaluate good/better than other players. But when you're discussing good/better with other positions, it gets much more difficult. An error every three games? An extra hit every two games? Do those marginal differences compensate for losing earned knowledge, or experience, or rewarding loyalty? The "best 9" that is often quoted is very subjective standard. Your best pitcher? Sure, easy to see. But whether a 1B is better than another 1B? As long as they both catch the ball when it comes to them, hard to determine one being better than the other. If you're going over hitting -- one got an extra hit against an overmatched opponent or a tired pitcher. None of this is easily definable.

I'd like the people who are jumping in here to try to look at this from the perspective of parents whose kids are playing their last seasons of softball, maybe ever. Or the perspective of girls who, having given three years to a program, find themselves replaced before their final year of high school. Like I've said, high school isn't travel ball -- you don't have the option of going to a different situation if this one isn't working out. So a coach making the decision to not play a senior is more than just filling out the lineup card. It's moments in people's lives.

I'd also ask that you look at the physical and mental differences between 14-year-old girls and 18-year-old-girls. They are often dramatic. A senior girl likely would be more able to handle a pressure situation than a 14-year-old. At least as far as I'm concerned, unless there's a specific reason to do otherwise, I think the older girls ought to get the chance to try.
She is a current Senior. Her Freshman year by midseason most of her class was playing significant innings and even moving into starting roles. Our JR first baseman was replaced by a FR- better glove, better bat, our SR right fielder was replaced in the best 9 by a FR. Our CF was a FR who moved the returning CF to LF. Our back up catcher split time with a 3 year starter. The girls that play at a high level of travel are not intimidated by the game, size or speed of the high school game. My daughter split time with a Senior in the circle, she was my kids biggest fan her parents too! A senior is not entitled to play just because this is their last ride. We had a SR last year at state get DHd for by a Freshman (got on too) and one senior that neve saw the field. Compete and let the rest take care of itself.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Let me ask this to those that think in the OP’s and similar situations there is some kind of nefarious intent by the coach to play an inferior player in the place of their senior DD.
Or perhaps the accusation is that the coach is incompetent and has no idea how to set a lineup?

Do you really think complaining to said coach would make the situation better?

If a coach is willing to do something like that I would bet they would be willing to bench the kid after mom and dad said their peace.

The main question of the OP was should she speak to the coach. Knowing many coaches I can say that is a BAD idea. It will almost always start and end with “I will not talk to you about playing time”.

I’m not saying that coaches don’t make crappy or boneheaded decisions. But they are the coach and most of the time they have the players and teams best interests in mind.
And in a case where they don’t, well good luck in thinking that your input will help right the ship.

Wrong. I never asked whether to talk to the coach. What, exactly, would be the point of that at this point? I also said that my DD spoke to her about the gradual loss of her catching position and HC basically gaslighted her into believing she'd give her more time. I was more interested in venting (see the title of the thread). We have no interest in getting into it with the Coach at this point. It's over and done with.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Wrong. I never asked whether to talk to the coach. What, exactly, would be the point of that at this point? I also said that my DD spoke to her about the gradual loss of her catching position and HC basically gaslighted her into believing she'd give her more time. I was more interested in venting (see the title of the thread). We have no interest in getting into it with the Coach at this point. It's over and done with.

I’m pretty sure that was originally mentioned at the beginning hence the multiple people saying it was a bad idea.

Jun 27, 2021
If a coach is making decisions on the fact that it may effect this player for the rest of her life is really an overreach on the idea of competition. Maybe these players need to learn to work harder to gain what they desire or realize that they are not as good as others. THAT IS LIFE. I have been cut from a team, I have played JV as a junior (the senior in my spot was better) and I have been part of championship teams. It is all part of the experience of sports.
Life lesson if you ask me, you dont like the result change it.

Jun 27, 2021
My policy is to ley my DD speak to the coach and ask what she can do to get more playing time. When parents get invloved, the situation usually gets worse.
HS kids should be talking to their coaches by now. Either in travel or school

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00