Last High School Game for a 2022; Need to Vent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
I'd like the people who are jumping in here to try to look at this from the perspective of parents whose kids are playing their last seasons of softball, maybe ever. Or the perspective of girls who, having given three years to a program, find themselves replaced before their final year of high school. Like I've said, high school isn't travel ball -- you don't have the option of going to a different situation if this one isn't working out. So a coach making the decision to not play a senior is more than just filling out the lineup card. It's moments in people's lives.
If a coach is making decisions on the fact that it may effect this player for the rest of her life is really an overreach on the idea of competition. Maybe these players need to learn to work harder to gain what they desire or realize that they are not as good as others. THAT IS LIFE. I have been cut from a team, I have played JV as a junior (the senior in my spot was better) and I have been part of championship teams. It is all part of the experience of sports.

Jun 20, 2015
the problem most people have with HS programs isn't the freshman starting ahead of a senior. It's the player that obviously isn't better to even the most casual observer that continues to start ahead of anyone else at position X. IMO

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Thinking this through,
Most every regular season final senior game in High School I have ever watched...
Has both seniors playing and then they bring in the underclassmen. It is a transition from those who have grown and stepping away from the program to those who are now entering it.
It is a transition game.
Symbolically so.

Apr 20, 2015
It should be pretty easy for someone with experience to tell which players are better. If you saw my kid in the mall you could tell that she's a high level athlete. You wouldn't know which sport of course but she and athletes like her simply move differently than other kids. Parents can't always tell because they don't see the kids day in and out in practice and they most often wear goggles. Don't compare JV level play and varsity either. A kid that hits 600 on JV might hit 100 against varsity pitching. Its just not apples to apples. Thats like saying PGF nationals and usssa C nationals have the same caliber of players. Can't deny there are politics in high school sports but there aren't as many as people think. Kids handling pressure had more to do with kids and experience than the age. High level travel players should handle pressure better than a casual rec player regardless of age. High school sports is not everyone gets a trophy. It is and should be competitive. Rec leagues should be all inclusive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2015
If a coach is making decisions on the fact that it may effect this player for the rest of her life is really an overreach on the idea of competition. Maybe these players need to learn to work harder to gain what they desire or realize that they are not as good as others. THAT IS LIFE. I have been cut from a team, I have played JV as a junior (the senior in my spot was better) and I have been part of championship teams. It is all part of the experience of sports.
Agree

Apr 20, 2015
How old is your daughter?
When was she last benched?
I have 1 that is a sophomore. 3 varsity sports as a freshman. Rarely sits the bench in 2, and plays a supporting role in her 3rd despite being the absolutely hardest worker on the team she just isn't as talented at that one. I have another that is younger and has to fight and scrape for every minute and inning that she gets because she just isn't as gifted and that's a fact. My feelings are the same. Does my mom heart break for my kids if they don't get the opportunities they want...of course...is it unfair.. nope

Feb 20, 2020
So you have no concept of what the OP is talking about. It doesn't apply to you -- my guess is it doesn't apply to most of the people here who are preaching best 9 and all-knowing coaches' eyes. This is a forum for parents of girls who are stars and rarely sit, much less get benched, who always play and when they aren't it's considered a slight because people here are convinced their daughter's rewards are based only on their talents and efforts.

Of course you think underclassmen should play -- you're daughter is an underclassman. Of course the parents of 12-year-olds think freshmen should start because they can see a time not too far away where their daughter is a freshman. The casual dismissal of the feelings of those girls and their parents -- the ones who get get replaced by your superstar daughters -- is revealing. it's easy to say to someone else that their disappointment are "just a part of life" when it's not something you've experienced or dealt with.

Feb 20, 2020
Wow...
I dont even have kids...
Are you saying i cant have an opinion about youth sports?
You can have whatever opinions you want. What you can't have is empathy, because it's not something you've ever been through. You're projecting your experience into a situation you only understand part of.

If you've never had someone jerk around or hurt your kid, you don't know what it's like to have someone jerk around or hurt your kid. And that's fine -- you don't have to know everything -- but if you're trying to tell a parent that this is no big deal or just part of life, you're doing so without any experience in the matter.

The OP was upset that her daughter was hurt IN HER LAST GAME because of a coach's decision, and the majority of this thread has been people justifying the coach's decision. That's much easier to do if it hasn't been your kid on the bad end of that decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad