Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
The thing about high level softball is that you can yell whatever you want and tweet whatever you want as long as your kid is really good.

Sometimes when the coach is being interviewed and they are talking about recruiting “only the best families and kids” you can hear their maniac parents screaming at each other in the background. //snark//

We regret not putting our kid on one of those teams. She completely fit the mold “one of those coaches” likes. (Pretty fast, hit the ball hard on the ground and could do it oppo any time she wanted. Ring any bells?) Yet big picture I’m glad we didn’t Every Single Day.

Dec 11, 2010
To me this isn’t a deeply held “right or wrong” thing. I honestly couldn’t care less. I set my cruise control at the highest speed that I think I won’t get stopped for. Sooner or later some trooper is going to write me a ticket and I’ll pay it. Some of the parents I have passed omw to tournaments act like speeding is akin to killing the players from the other team and hanging them from a bridge with a sign cartel style. Murder is a “right or wrong” deal. Most rules aren’t.

Most rules are guidelines. We live in a constantly evolving grey area. I know some don’t see the grey. The funny thing about people who don’t see the grey is they believe only their view matters. I couldn’t care less. Do what makes you feel righteous. I’ll do the same.

I’m basically a rule follower. I’m going to get my haircut and Costco in a bit. I’ll speed but I’ll wear my mask when I go in. I would appreciate it if people get out of the left lane so I can pass them. When someone wants to pass me, I won’t be offended. I couldn’t care less.

Sep 15, 2015
Impossible to answer.

That’s my point. Rather than celebrate or try to learn from the athlete, we have 100 plus posts celebrating a rule whose utility is apparently “impossible” to substantiate with actual evidence. Any evidence. Even anecdotal evidence from Susy L on someone’s 14u team who picked up 3 mph from keeping her toe off the ground. And then we have people piling on by knocking the kid’s family for defending her.

Anyway, here is what I view as interesting about Bahl, just based on the grainy videos on Twitter. She is very open through the release phase with a remarkable amount of front knee extension. To go out 8 and half feet at her height (leap or no) and then reach front full front knee extension as rapidly as she does maybe isn’t unique but is pretty extraordinary. And it’s not just strength, as any baseball pitcher who has tried to develop pushback will tell you. It’s how the stride leg femur rotates into the hip socket. Will be interesting if more people try to emphasise or copy this approach to FSR.

It will also be interesting to get games where the faster post-season cameras are used. I thought the videos showing spin direction from last years WCWS (and years prior but especially last year with all the bullet spin) were incredibly revealing, and I think seeing what Bahl’s spin actually looks like will be too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So what is the advantage in mph gained? 0-3, 3-5, 5-7, more? I’m not looking for a statistical study. Just anecdotally, what evidence can you supply from your kid, or students, or teammates, or yourself?

My kid tried leaping for two weeks last summer and lost 2 mph. Threw about 800 pitches that way in August. Said she felt too up, not enough out. Hence my skepticism. But maybe she’s the outlier. Would not be the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tried for Two weeks...
Very cute😁

To others it's just a topic of rules and applying rules which may have nothing to do with performance.
To that discussion of applying rules there are far more pitches that are called balls and Strikes that affect the game far greater then a few inches of air under a pitcher's foot.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Looks like some umps are calling it!

I’m hoping it’s just an early season “point of emphasis” they let go soon. VT’s Fr Emma Lemley K’d 16 vs Wisconsin in her debut but they called her for 22 illegals, ended up with 8 BBs & kept Wisc in the game despite them getting 1 hit it was 5-4 Hokies. Garbage umpiring

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan