Jordy Bahl Change up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
Looks like the Rick Pauly change to me. I'm not sure it has another name, that's just what it has been called on this board for a long time. Java also teaches it. Definitely isn't a traditional flip.

My impression was it's similar to a Rick Pauly change-up as well. Rick used to call the finish the "cat claw", but not sure what he calls it now. I took some video of her pitching from the 3B side at the World Series. When I have time, I'll go through it and see if I have one of her change-ups. Rich Balswick teaches the same change-up. Here is a clip of my DD throwing two last summer. You can hear Rich at the end:

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I believe that she simply is getting her fingers along the side of the ball racing them towards the front of the ball. The finish looks like a flip but it is not. The bottom line is to get your fingers working along the side of the ball so they cannot push behind the ball to impart speed. This is the change I have taught with good success ever since I read this description of how Corey Kluber throws his off-speed curve ball.

Kluber:
"With my fastball, I'm trying to keep my two fingers behind the ball as long as I can to pull down on it and create as much backspin as possible. With the curve, instead of trying to stay behind, it's almost the opposite. At the very end of the release, you try to get your hand in front of the ball to create that topspin, which makes it break. You're rolling your hand forward and down off the side of the ball as you snap your wrist."

Just turn that upside down

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
My DD learned this change up from her pitching coach at Powerhouse Mechanics. They have videos on it on it on their IG. Definitely not a flip change. Hard to learn but it's wicked once you get it down.

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
I recently watched someone else talk about how they throw their change-up out of the side of their hand. It comes out of the pinkie side of the hand for a RH pitcher. She felt it allowed the arm to move in a direction that would better mask the change.
That looks like she may be doing something similar.
Spot on, but there is a little more to the mechanics.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Palm does not face up as ball goes down the back side of the arm circle. A crook in the elbow as it goes around so arm cannot IR as well ("crook" is one of Rick's three "C's" of a changeup). Fingers do not get behind ball at the normal area of whip. It's kind of the anti-whip pitch.
I'm not saying she learned it from Pauly, just pointing out some similar mechanics I learned from him.

Jan 1, 2023
Looks like my 12-U DD’s change, which is a slightly modified Pauly change. Circle grip, twist and get over top of the ball. Creates a lot of spin when she does it right. Obviously, still needs work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom