Is this a strike or a ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
🙂 Bouncing off other posts where we view video & get into opinion discussion on if plays are obstruction or not....
And other stuff...

Imagine endless video's asking opinions
on if umpires are getting strikes and balls called correctly?!
Holy Mackeral...

Little fun here, but it could happen.
My daughter was up to bat and... this pitch happened. And the Umpire called it a _____and the coach said to my daughter ______.
So, Was it a strike or a ball?

Even though cannot argue balls and Strikes certainly people can have opinions of them 😁
So here it is if anybody wants to start posting video or pictures of whether or not the Umpire is getting strikes and balls called correctly...

The opportunities for opinions are endless 🥳

Have a great day DFP !

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
There's a legend from MLB that involves Ted William. A young catcher said to the umpire after a close pitch that was called a ball, "Blue, that wasn't a strike?" The umpire responded, "Son, if it was a strike, Mr. Williams would've swung at it."

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There's a legend from MLB that involves Ted William. A young catcher said the umpire after a close pitch that was called a ball, "Blue, that wasn't a strike?" The umpire responded, "Son, if it was a strike, Mr. Williams would've swung at it."
Lol well it must be nice for umpires in the MLB to be able to rely on the players...
😁

May 29, 2015
There's a legend from MLB that involves Ted William. A young catcher said to the umpire after a close pitch that was called a ball, "Blue, that wasn't a strike?" The umpire responded, "Son, if it was a strike, Mr. Williams would've swung at it."

Rogers Hornsby, not Ted Williams. ;)

The umpire was Bill Klem. "Son, when you pitch a strike, Mr. Hornsby will let you know."

A reporter once showed Klem a photo as evidence that he had blown a call. Klem's reply was, "Gentleman, he was out because I said he was out."

Another Klem-gem is: "The most cowardly thing in the world is blaming mistakes upon the umpires. Too many managers strut around on the field trying to manage the umpires instead of their teams."

Klem rocked.

May 29, 2015
I’ve actually said to players. That was a strike because the ump said so. But I understand why you didn’t swing.

I’ve also said. If you don’t want to strike out on a bad call. Hit strike 2.

One of my favorite lines, attributed to me: "Not all strikes are meant to be hit, and not all balls are meant to be watched."

I love a 2-strike lazy change-up that just misses up high. Catcher's ask, "How did the pitcher miss?" I ask, "How did the batter? That ball should be in the cornfield by now."

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Rogers Hornsby, not Ted Williams. ;)

The umpire was Bill Klem. "Son, when you pitch a strike, Mr. Hornsby will let you know."

A reporter once showed Klem a photo as evidence that he had blown a call. Klem's reply was, "Gentleman, he was out because I said he was out."

Another Klem-gem is: "The most cowardly thing in the world is blaming mistakes upon the umpires. Too many managers strut around on the field trying to manage the umpires instead of their teams."

Klem rocked.
As for umpires’ unwillingness to challenge Williams on calls, Don Larsen, in particular, the Yankee’s famed perfect game World Series pitcher, hated this: “The only thing I didn’t like (about Williams) was no matter what you did, if you threw the ball down the middle of the plate and he didn’t swing, it would be a ball. He more or less umpired his own game.” Virgil Trucks tells a perhaps apocryphal tale about a game between Detroit and the Red Sox in Boston: “Joe Ginsberg was catching and Williams came up and walked on four straight pitches, and Joe’s questioning the umpire about it. On the last one, he said, ‘Bill’—Bill Summers was the umpire. He said, ‘Bill, don’t you think that ball was a strike?’ And Bill said to Joe, ‘Mr. Ginsberg, Mr. Williams will let you know when it is a strike.’”

Ned Garver tells a similar story: “One time against the Yankees, he had a couple of home runs off the Yankee pitcher, and Yogi (Berra) complained (to the umpire) because he called ball four on him, and the umpire said, ‘Well, at least I held him to one base.’ If you walked him, he only got to first. If you pitched to him, you didn’t [know] what the hell was going to happen!”

This was a great read on just how good Williams was.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

In case anybody needed a real-life example of irony.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles