Infield fly question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 26, 2012
A, A
My understanding is once an ump has called infield fly, the base runners can still run, which usually does not happen.
Do they need to tag up before running? Or is this treated like an uncaught ball? (In effect the ump's call is similar the ball touching the ground, ie: still in play but not caught)

Jun 22, 2008
Once infield fly is called the batter is out which would remove any force on the base runners. The ball is live and runners can advance at their own risk. However, they are still responsible for legally running the bases. The batted ball is treated as any other batted ball, if caught before touching the ground, yes the runners must tag up. If ball touches the ground, no.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
My understanding is once an ump has called infield fly, the base runners can still run, which usually does not happen.
Do they need to tag up before running? Or is this treated like an uncaught ball? (In effect the ump's call is similar the ball touching the ground, ie: still in play but not caught)

The ONLY things which happens on an IF is that the BR is out and the rule regarding an intentionally dropped ball is ignored.

That's it, nothing else changes.

Jun 22, 2010
Comp and MTR are right, of course. I'm only posting to show that I'm one of the cool kids who agree with them. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves