I suspect organization of stealing player funds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
The organization is a registered non-profit, but the accounting is a bit - for lack of a better term - "loose". The amounts being disputed are relatively small (about $100 per family), but the player fees were paid into the player accounts via the organization's checking account.
I believe the NPO is only required to account for all monies coming in and out of the org - it's not required to track accounts at the player level.

Was the checking account for just that team? I'd say your chances are much worse if the money was commingled with other teams.

Jun 1, 2013
What you do here may also affect the team (s) you will be invited on. Drop it is the best course of action.

Feb 3, 2011
Is it just a matter of who owns the equipment, or is there $100 per family that has vanished? Or maybe both? Sorry - just a bit confused.
I haven't seen the books yet, but the the dispute is over the ownership of equipment. They are essentially saying that anything purchased for our players/team are a donation to the organization. I can see any amount left over from the per-season "admin fee" being a donation (although it was not clearly spelled out, I am not expecting the accounting to be that strict), but this is above that.

The player contract we all signed indicates only that any player leaving the team before conclusion of the season would forfeit all payments, which makes sense, because the team budget is set based on x-number of players. It's all one big bank account, but the organization communicated to us that each player had her own "account" on the books.

I agree with WarriorNike. Let it go. The organization should have better "standards and practices", but I don't know if that rises to the level of stealing.

There's also a pretty good chance someone in your organization knows you post here and word will get out that you're on the internet accusing so and so of stealing.
This is just the research post. I'm hoping to learn whether there are any rules unknown to me that may weaken my position. Win or lose - and I'm "undefeated" (lol) in small claims court - the finger wagging and public shaming come later. I will not sue if I can't win. :)

Feb 3, 2011
Momo,
What sort of equipment are you talking about? Bats, batbags, gloves or other personal-type items??

or...

Are you talking screens, tees, pitching machines, team bats, ball caddies, etc? These are 'team' type items which carry over across some years and part of each year's money supports repairs/maintenence/replacements of this type of stuff. If this is the equipment that the team claims to own... which 1/12th of the pitcher's screen are you looking to get back?

As a PAY-RENT, you should expect the org/team to be good stewards of your money. It doesn't always happen. You have the right to ask about the details and where the money goes. You might not get a satisfactory answer.... but...

You still have the power to improve the accounting (volunteer for co-treasurer, etc), vote with your feet, or zip it.
We maintain that the team equipment - which was purchased by the team for the benefit of the team - belongs to the team, not to individual players or to the organization. For what it's worth, we've had the same manager and HC for several seasons. So, while there's no document which explicitly spells out the definition of "team", there's never been a change in management or significant change in personnel.

All monies were paid into the organization's checking account. Equipment purchases were paid or reimbursed from that account.

Note: Uniforms were purchased the same way, and the organization is claiming that each parent paid for those directly and for that reason, we get to keep them.

Isn't Momo just about up to 14u age bracket? Once you get your $100 back, bring it to our team in Roseville. We are still looking for a couple more girls for Summer, and we've never had a dispute over funds.
That sounds like a plan! Yes, she's been with a great group of girls (plus amazing families, which is part of the reason I'm not happy to see any of them getting screwed over) through 10s and they're gearing up for a final run in 12s now. The time really does fly by.

Jun 1, 2013
We maintain that the team equipment - which was purchased by the team for the benefit of the team - belongs to the team, not to individual players or to the organization. For what it's worth, we've had the same manager and HC for several seasons. So, while there's no document which explicitly spells out the definition of "team", there's never been a change in management or significant change in personnel.

All monies were paid into the organization's checking account. Equipment purchases were paid or reimbursed from that account.

Note: Uniforms were purchased the same way, and the organization is claiming that each parent paid for those directly and for that reason, we get to keep them.

That sounds like a plan! Yes, she's been with a great group of girls (plus amazing families, which is part of the reason I'm not happy to see any of them getting screwed over) through 10s and they're gearing up for a final run in 12s now. The time really does fly by.

So if you maintain it is the teams and not the individuals, is the whole team leaving? If not your argument is flawed. If remnants of the team remain and the HC/Manager is still there then the team is intact. Actually if just the manager/HC is there the team is intact. He can add or dismiss players from his team right? Then it is his team and as such team equipment goes with him. Keep the streak alive....don't take this one to court.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I don't think you are winning this one, and it sounds like the equipment dispute is a superficial issue compared to a deeper sense of betrayal on the part of the organization (I've never heard of anyone accusing a coach of "stealing" for merely keeping the team equipment at the end of the year). If the organization bought equipment for the entire team's use, why would it not stay with the head coach/coaches to be used the following year? Even if the head coach were to leave for another organization, why would he leave the team equipment behind (unless he was dismissed)?

I have not had anyone begrudge me for holding on to the equipment to use the following year. Other than softballs, how would you divide the equipment among the players at the end of the year? As I said, I sense a much deeper problem here.

Mar 26, 2013

That's fine if parents paid for uniforms separate from player fees. Otherwise, it is an inconsistent position.

Keep in mind the value of the equipment is what you would net by selling it, not what you paid for it or what a retailer would charge. For most teams, that isn't much and very small when divided among the team members. That's the reason most allow the coaches to keep it rather than sell it and split the proceeds.

NPOs have a responsibility to look after their assets. If they were audited (e.g. due to complaints), they would have to account for substantial items (e.g. computers, pitching machines, etc) along with all the money that came in and out.

Aug 12, 2014
I can't figure out what you are saying is the problem. Is it that the team bought equipment that you think should be returned to the players/families? Or is it the accounting doesn't add up?

Feb 3, 2011
The team is intact. The player uniforms were purchased with player fees. The team equipment was purchased with player fees. The organization is claiming that the equipment is a contribution to and therefore belongs to the organization, not to the team.

Feb 21, 2012
I'm still confused where the actual issue is. Is the organization trying to reposes the equipment for other purposes?
That might cause me grief if the team were still together and still playing for the organization.
But if the team is still there and still has the equipment, the org just says that the equipment is an asset of the organization, but your team gets to keep using it, then I fail to see the issue?

What is the end game? Is the team trying to leave the organization and take the equipment with it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom