I knew I kept my Christmas tree up for a reason...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I just bought a used all horween NP7, it’s a 12.25 also, what’s the main difference between these two gloves....other than webs?
Allow me, and first off great job on the NP7, one of my favorites!

The NP pattern (named after Neifi Perez) is a infield pattern only! It's designed to be a flatter / shallower glove that prefers to be closed thumb to middle finger, old school traditional. To me both my NP6 & NP7 are anything but flat, especially my 12" NP6. All the NP gloves have the fold over palm / crotch that folds over from the palm to the back of the glove, my preference!

OsDad's new KB17 here is just a fancy named 12.25" Pro207, part of the Pro200 family. This series or pattern of gloves tend to be deeper and bowl shaped and prefers to be closed thumb to pinkie or thumb to ring depending on how you like to wear (grip) your gloves, either traditional or two-in-the pinkie (TIP). The 200 gloves does not have the fold over palm.

In my view, the NP gloves are still being used by many professional MLB players.......Machado, Josh Donaldson, Kolton Wong, etc, but I think the newer modern trend for younger players is the thumb to pinkie Pro200 family, but I could be wrong?

Oh yeah, one huge difference between the two are........looking at the heel / palm of the glove, the 200's have a more square dual break heel, that's why they work so well being worn TIP and closing thumb to pinkie. The NP pattern has more of a tapered / pointed single break heel that makes it want to close thumb to middle finger. Pretty important points that I probably should mention! :rolleyes:

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Found a couple pics of my NP6 and NP7 to show what I'm mean by the single break heel for anyone who doesn't understand? You can see how the web and the palm all flow down to almost a point at the outside of the heel on the pinkie side. Old school!
thumbnail (75).jpgthumbnail (76).jpgthumbnail (77).jpg

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Well on the very day I say something about Josh Donaldson using the Rawlings NP pattern............I just saw where he just changed to Marucci and the Scott Carpenter C-Mod option. I bet these gloves are incredible on another level!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Gotta like the little things I learn from AD just reading thru the glove threads...only to forget them later, but
learned none the less :)
When I first learned about the Carpenter Trade gloves, my first thought / response was "That's pretty far out there, I'd never play that kind of crazy cash for a fully synthetic glove.....no way!!"

But when you hear customers who own MANY gloves, and guys like Jeffrey Rous and Dan Davis say there's absolutely nothing else like them on the planet, you start to listen and change up the way you think.

Scott Carpenter is a genius! These glove cost so much (his original gloves, not the new Marucci C-MOD) because they're a one-off custom glove made to a mold and dimensions of YOUR hand, pretty cool stuff!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I meant the single break heel and tech stuff like that...haha. Never knew it. Not a glove guy but makes sense when I see it.

Hey Core, here's a perfect example of the squared off dual break heel on a Pro1000 which is a part of Rawlings Pro200 family, these work better TIP than the single break heel of the NP pattern. The 200 family works equally well with either grip.
srZM3RAl.jpg

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Didn't want to start a new thread, very interesting read on the Marucci / Carpenter Trade glove merger!

Ho-Lee-Smokes... I'm such a gear nerd and am loving the write up on them.. I've got a CMOD sitting in my cart.. Deciding on what size.. DD1 is 13, DD2 is 11, son is 8.. Do I go 12in for both softball/baseball or go 11.5in and have a baseball glove?!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Ho-Lee-Smokes... I'm such a gear nerd and am loving the write up on them.. I've got a CMOD sitting in my cart.. Deciding on what size.. DD1 is 13, DD2 is 11, son is 8.. Do I go 12in for both softball/baseball or go 11.5in and have a baseball glove?!
Man I can't answer that, but how cool, I guess the logical answer is..........get both! I've never seen or held a Carpenter glove before, but I'd sure love to hear what you have to say when you get BOTH of them in! ;)

You know the Marucci C-Mod glove is Scott's magic inside of a Marucci Capitol leather glove? It's not like Scott's original synthetic glove, right? Kinda the same, kinda not.

Here's Scott's old website.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06