I gave in and bought a chest protector

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have to catch 9 out of 10 of my lessons. I have 3 girls that are 12U that are nibbling at 50mph. Instead of foolishly getting a shoulder broken, I bought a chest protector. This is the most uncomfortable thing, I have ever worn, but I imagine a broken rib or 2, might be worse.

th_Photoon2011-03-28at1344.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Last week I bought shin guards and a chest protector. This was after I took one off the shin and it looked like a door knob was growing out of my leg. I probably look pretty silly in full catchers gear, sitting on a bucket. But its better then breaking a bone.

Dec 10, 2010
A, A
Haha...this is a perfect thread for me.

Saturday morning. Catching for my daughter. I had my glove right in line with the ball, then, it was gone. That thing dropped under my glove and the next thing I know, I was lying on the floor screaming in pain. Ball to knee cap...direct hit. The "thud" was so loud that everyone in all 3 lanes stopped and said "ewwww" at the same time.

I threw my helmet off, told them I was done catching for the day and went to the waiting room with ice. I sat down, propped my knee up and then it hit me. I started seeing white stars, I could hear them talking but it sounded like they were down the block and I was on the verge of puking. My god, I was trying to pass out. That lasted for about 3 minutes and then I started coming back around. I sat for about another 15 minutes before I could actually get up and walk. (all this time, my kid was finishing her lesson because I let on that it wasnt that bad in front of her)

We left with a swollen knee and by the time I got home, it looked like there was a baseball on the knee. I ended up getting xrays to make sure the bone didnt get cracked.

so, 2 days later, my knee is still swollen (although not as bad). Lesson learned, I WILL be buying leg guards. You don't think your kid throws "that hard" until it comes in contact with your body.

Dec 19, 2008
I catch for my daughter at lessons. I have no protection on at all..........until we work the drop. I have so many permanent bumps and indentions from that pitch, that I finally bought shin guards. Only problem - I bought umpire shin guards! No toe protection! Big mistake.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
After my dd started pitching as an 8 yo, it didn't take long until my shins looked like a spinal column it had so many bumps. I bought a pair of shin guards and got quite a lot of ribbing by other parents on the team. You know the ones, the ones who's dd's don't pitch! She took a couple of years off and at 12, she has MUCH better control, but her pitches are in the upper 40's to low 50's, with movement. I think the toe guards are my next investment for any bucket riders hell pitch known as the drop. Matter of fact that pitch may make the mask a quick purchase as well! Truly I feel your pain. It's also funny to watch coaches on the field doing bp or even fielding, without a cup. Getting old has slowed my reflexes but fortunately not my brains and I prepare for my inabilities!!!!!

Jun 21, 2010
I'm an idiot and wear no protection. Last week I took a drop ball off the top of the foot. It hurt a little but not too bad. I can't complain because the dad catching next to me took a short hop in a much worse place. :eek:

I'll never make fun of someone who wears full gear. They're the smart ones.

Jun 21, 2010
Mississippi
DD just start pitching this year and my first purchase was the bucket seat from e-bay. Now looking at something for my head since I had a high one come of my glove and hit me in the top of the head the other day.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Amy, I am told that the Easton Synergy is more comfortable for women. designed for women, and the straps are more like a sports bra. I'm unqualified to attest to the truth of that assertion.

Also, make sure there's slack when you block ;-)

Jul 26, 2010
I really need to get shin guards. I do wear a mask/helmet, often because I find myself catching BP and I'm more worried about foul balls, but I figure I might as well wear it cos I have it. I have developed a very interesting "stance". I use a short 3 gallon bucket, and I straddle it so that my knees are nearly on the ground and my thighs facing forward, feet out behind me, and I lean far forward. This protects my crotch and puts me more inline with the height my catchers are, so, my thighs and that bucket take most of the drop balls that I miss. I'm sure my back would appreciate shin guards and a more upright stance.

Of course. . . after all this, I finished catching for my girls the other day and then did (indoor) fielding practice with my team. I took the helmet off, and two girls into a drill fielding and returning short hops one of my players throws a bullet from 10 feet away, I forgot I'm still wearing a mitt and not a fielding glove and the ball clips the top of the webbing before meeting my chin. Still lumpy from that one but grateful I still have teeth. Guess my point is that you're never safe ;)

-W

Dec 10, 2010
A, A
I really need to get shin guards. I do wear a mask/helmet, often because I find myself catching BP and I'm more worried about foul balls, but I figure I might as well wear it cos I have it. I have developed a very interesting "stance". I use a short 3 gallon bucket, and I straddle it so that my knees are nearly on the ground and my thighs facing forward, feet out behind me, and I lean far forward. This protects my crotch and puts me more inline with the height my catchers are, so, my thighs and that bucket take most of the drop balls that I miss. I'm sure my back would appreciate shin guards and a more upright stance.

Of course. . . after all this, I finished catching for my girls the other day and then did (indoor) fielding practice with my team. I took the helmet off, and two girls into a drill fielding and returning short hops one of my players throws a bullet from 10 feet away, I forgot I'm still wearing a mitt and not a fielding glove and the ball clips the top of the webbing before meeting my chin. Still lumpy from that one but grateful I still have teeth. Guess my point is that you're never safe ;)-W

My knees were on the ground (started doing that to protect the shins) when I took that fastball to the knee. Don't be fooled into thinking that knees on the gound will protect them...I was LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06