How to tell a high school coach that she can't overuse my pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
This is what I wonder. I understand that there are 27 girls in the program so that seems like enough for two teams

If you had 100 girls and only two pitchers you don't have enough for two teams. You can only have as many teams as you have pitchers and catchers.

You need at least two pitchers and catchers for one team and you really need backups who can fill in a pinch for those two (it will happen).

The math doesn't add up and it's not going to work.

May 17, 2023
Sounds to me like this coach is much more interested in their record than the health and development of their players. It should be great opportunity to develop other pitchers, even if they can only lob it over the plate right now. And that kind of schedule this far away from the season is insane.

I second the conversation with the athletic director (or other school administration) given your DD has already tried to address it and the coach was dismissive. Those individuals care a lot less about the team's W/L record and more about protecting the integrity and financial welfare of the school.

Pushing kids through overuse injuries in today's world is bad publicity at best and potential liability at worst.

Jul 11, 2023
Move this up a level and people will complain about the transfer portal and kids being able to do what is best for them if they ended up making a poor initial decision for whatever reason. I feel bad for these kids.

May 13, 2023
So DD's high school team has a new coach. The program has only two pitchers, and coach is planning to use DD as the sole varsity pitcher and the other girl as the sole JV pitcher. She's also planning a schedule where they'd play 3-4 games per week for the season, including tournaments where she'd play more than one game per day.

Coach has told DD that she needs to be prepared to pitch 100% of the team's innings this spring. DD has told Coach she's not comfortable with that load, and Coach says she needs to get comfortable with it. This week she told Coach that her shoulder was unusually sore (after throwing 100-150 pitches M-F in practice, and then pitching in games both days this weekend with her travel team), and Coach not only refused to give her a day off but told her that she wants her to throw an additional 100 pitches per day so she can learn to work through the pain.

So now it's time for me and my husband to speak up, but what do we say? I don't want to make it seem like DD is a diva but I'm also not willing to let DD suffer an injury because Coach won't listen to her. DD is also scared to refuse to do what Coach tells her because softball is a PE class and DD doesn't want Coach to fail her, which would require her to take another semester of PE later on.

We have a meeting next week. DD's PC says we need to be prepared to pull her from the team, though that's a little complicated because DD is also signed up for the class so she might be stuck for the semester. (Also DD is friends with her softball teammates and doesn't want to let them down.)

So how is the best way to communicate to Coach that we are not going to let her wreck DD's summer by driving her to injury in the spring? Do we need to involve the AD, or only talk to him if the conversation with Coach goes badly?
( haven't read all the other posts yet)

Something glaring that stands out to me is a coach who is expecting the one pitcher to be healthy physically an entire season is fooling themselves. (Simply talking cold and flu season here).

Let alone the pressure that is putting on that one player, your daughter. Is a separate topic that your daughter may need to prepare for whatever her other goals are. Aka- Being a pitcher and being relied upon. And her deciding for herself what her healthy parameters need to be. Then taking a firm Stance on her being a priority to be healthy.
Body physically healthy! Believe the pitching instructor is correct you may need to be prepared to step off the team.

Solution
➡️The coach needs a plan B.

This may be something to include the principal and athletic director in conversation.

May 20, 2015
we had (2) varsity level pitchers last year, a Jr and Sr.....we STILL worked to develop (2) more at the JV level to plan for the next two years......and the #3 & #4 BOTH got time in varsity games, and we only played 20 games including playoffs*

*and we won all 20, so you can win AND develop, the two aren't mutually exclusive....

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
This coach is what gives HS coaches a bad reputation. Our staff has been with this program for almost 10 years and we have worked on developing pitching for most of it. There is currently a prospective pitcher in every grade down to fourth grade. We track their progress and their travel ball teams in the summer. To have a good program you have to show the players and parents you care. Our schedule in Indiana is 28 games allowed (weather eats 3-4 at least a year). We tell the pitchers and catchers you will not pitch or catch all 28 games. We plan ahead for conference games and honestly there are games you go into without your best line up. BUT we have to protect our players.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
This coach is what gives HS coaches a bad reputation. Our staff has been with this program for almost 10 years and we have worked on developing pitching for most of it. There is currently a prospective pitcher in every grade down to fourth grade. We track their progress and their travel ball teams in the summer. To have a good program you have to show the players and parents you care. Our schedule in Indiana is 28 games allowed (weather eats 3-4 at least a year). We tell the pitchers and catchers you will not pitch or catch all 28 games. We plan ahead for conference games and honestly there are games you go into without your best line up. BUT we have to protect our players.
I would add you'll find nutjob coaches in any organization; HS, rec, travel, etc.

In developing pitchers through the rec program for my small-town school, I have a goal of retaining at least two pitchers per grade until they graduate. Doesn't work out that way, but that's the goal. I start with about a dozen per grade in grade school and encourage them all. Then for a variety of reasons they tend to whittle themselves down to one or two.

Oct 4, 2018
The HS season doesn't start until the spring but she's had the team doing full practices since tryouts last month. Most HS teams we know about are only doing conditioning, but she has pitchers throwing bullpens every day to get them ready for the spring season.

Insane

Oct 4, 2018
I know it's easier said than done, but it's high school softball. It doesn't matter too much. Her health and happiness comes first, obviously. Then comes what lets her pursue a college career. In my experience what they do in high school doesn't factor in all that much. Our high school experience has been ok, but not as good as we hoped. We just shrug it off and eagerly await our travel season which starts back up in a few weeks.

I hope y'all find the right answer. Good for you for not just taking it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma