How to teach power

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Make sure when she first tries the helicopter drill that no one is standing anywhere near the 3rd base line! The bat will be flying hard in that direction until she gets used to it. Ideally, the bat should go over second base after she gets the hang of it. Then in whatever direction she wants to practice hitting.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Make sure when she first tries the helicopter drill that no one is standing anywhere near the 3rd base line! The bat will be flying hard in that direction until she gets used to it. Ideally, the bat should go over second base after she gets the hang of it. Then in whatever direction she wants to practice hitting.

This works IF they are getting their body turning properly. They can also send it by just using their arms, which creates an out-front whip and is not the ideal movement pattern. This is why a lot of people don't like the drill. I like the idea of starting by hurling the bat sideways (to the opposite batter's box) without a body turn because it reinforces the feeling of an immediate/explosive barrel whip generated by the hands. It's the body turn that should give the hurled bat direction out into the field.

Oct 25, 2009
Anyone ever had a players over-spin the bat and hit themselves? Seems there is the potential for getting hurt.

The point is to throw it. You have to clear the front side. Most of the players have a tendency to not let go of the bat soon enough when they first try it; thus pulling it toward the dugout. In order to spin it it seems like there would have to be more of a wrist action instead of a throwing action.

We've even set up tees as targets. And we use an open field when throwing, not nets.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
What I am telling you comes from experience with my DD who had a similar swing. The problem as I see it when I slow down your video is your DD is not in a position to hit the ball with power. If you freeze the video from the front side you will see she if fully extended at contact. Arms are extended out and the body is straight up. When this occurs a hitter usually makes contact out in front of the plate and most hits will go down the third base side. I would guess her best hits are balls on the outside corner.

I don't have a video of it so I will try to describe a drill my DDs hitting coach did with her that changed everything. She took a speed ladder and laid out about three sections in the batters box area. The ball is on the tee. DD has to start in the front of the box and stay sideways just like she would be facing when batting..then touch each foot in each box and when her back foot hits the back section…her weight is back, her body is in a good, athletic hitting position and then front foot goes back down and hit the ball. This will make her drive through the ball. I hope I have explained that well…it is the only things that has taught my DD to get into the correct position to hit the ball.

Second, pull up some slow motion of good softball or baseball hitters and freeze the video at contact. Look at where there arms are located compared to your DD. The extension comes after contact and gives you more power where your DD is already extended.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I'm finding that 10U girls have a blast flinging their bats into a net. :)

We do this about every other\every 3rd hitting practice. We take it outside to see who can fling it the farthest through the oppo batter's box and farthest to CF...winner of each gets a whopping $1 from me

Spend $10 and buy the wooden t-ball bat at Wally world though...one of my gals was ready to fling her $200 Fs2 :eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl