How to Play Softball During a Pandemic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Here are the complete guidelines :

The below parameters were established by USSSA at a national level. It is important to remember that this guidance does not replace or supersede any protocols or restrictions outlined by state or local authorities. We all must continue to follow our state and local guidelines. The following guidelines can be found on our website as well.

Player/Coach Safety -

Minimize player contact by eliminating team/player handshakes and high-fives. Other means of celebration such as tips of caps are suggested.
Managers meeting at home plate should be limited to one coach per team and umpires -- No players. In some instances, the meeting may be eliminated entirely.
If player equipment is shared, we recommend taking precautions to clean equipment in between use.
Teams are allowed to spread players out - expand the dugout area when room permits, staying clear of foul ball areas.
Teams are encouraged to limit bench personnel to essential team personnel only.
If players choose, they may wear personal protective items, such as masks and gloves, as long as the items do not compromise the safety of any and all participants in the game.
Use of dugout water coolers and otherwise shared water bottles is discouraged.
Teams are required to clean their dugout of all trash and other items before and after each game, and to wipe down hard surfaces such as benches, bat racks, etc. with sanitizing products.

General Safety -

Players, coaches and fans are encouraged to bring hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes for disinfecting hands and equipment regularly.
Fans are encouraged to bring their own chairs to all events or clean an area of a bleacher before using.
The use of sunflower seeds is prohibited.
When using a tent, please restrict it to family members only.
All in attendance must adhere to the guidelines from the CDC, state and local authorities regarding state travel restrictions and stay-at-home orders.
All event attendees are encouraged to practice social distancing.
Any person who is experiencing symptoms of sickness will be prohibited from attending the event. Attendance by those that are most vulnerable is discouraged.

Again, this is the guidance established at a national level by USSSA. Per the directive of local authorities, there may be additional guidance and requirements. Our Take the Field team has worked with our Oklahoma City parks and provided the following as additional guidance for the Oklahoma City Challenge.

Player/Coach Safety -

Each team will pitch with their own balls. This is being done to limit the ball contact to players of the same team. Four, individually wrapped, game balls will be provided to each team at coaches check-in. Additional individually wrapped balls will be available for purchase throughout the event as needed.
Umpires will maintain their normal positions and will not be moved behind the mound or otherwise around the field.
Awards ceremonies will not take place. The General Manager of the event will hand awards to coaches. Team pictures will be at the discretion of coaches and parents.

General Safety -

While personal protective equipment is not required, it is encouraged.
Teams and their families are discouraged from congregating in large groups for extended periods of time.
Social distancing practices are recommended. Lines around restrooms, concession stands or otherwise throughout the event are discouraged, but if necessary, please maintain a distance of 6 feet at all times.

GATE PROCESS ADJUSTMENTS:

In an effort to improve traffic flow at the entrance of the event, and to reduce contact and the exchange of cash, our gate procedures are changing. Instead of our normal system of exchanging cash and stamps for entry, all teams are required to purchase a $250 electronic gate pass in advance of the event. Once the team e-pass has been purchased, all fans of that team are allowed to come and go from the event freely, staying within the above event guidelines regarding health and safety of all. Event attendees are not required to show the e-pass, stamps or other indicators of payment for entrance. All teams will be required to purchase this pass in order to compete in the event. We will also be taking precautions to open all entrances around the complex to improve traffic flow in and out of the complex. All e-passes must be purchased by May 24th. Teams not purchasing the e-pass will not be able to participate in the event.

Jun 8, 2016
Those #'s speak LOUDLY !!!
Well like I said, no WCWS so that is part of it I am sure. This is a good tournament for 12's and below so the whole gotta go to be seen by college coaches motivation isn't there either. They have older age groups but it isn't a top tournament for those ages.

Dec 23, 2017
New York
I hear you, but, my girls can probably give the 1B coach speech in their sleep at this point..."Nice at bat...1 out, now...going hard on the ground, halfway in the air...see the line drive through...."
[/Q

There are times the 1B coach needs to do more than that
I hear you, but, my girls can probably give the 1B coach speech in their sleep at this point..."Nice at bat...1 out, now...going hard on the ground, halfway in the air...see the line drive through...."
But the 3B coach might be telling the runner more

Nov 9, 2019
Thanks. Thought that was the one you where talking about. Looked yesterday a saw those numbers, but after asking you looked again today and numbers have droped to 25 in 12B which is the largest amount per divison. Time tournament rolls around may not be enough teams to even have it. Just another we won't get to play.

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks. Thought that was the one you where talking about. Looked yesterday a saw those numbers, but after asking you looked again today and numbers have droped to 25 in 12B which is the largest amount per divison. Time tournament rolls around may not be enough teams to even have it. Just another we won't get to play.
I thought you had to drop by yesterday but I could be wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06