how to help create a really good pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2019
60+ views and no replies...I am no expert but I'll put in my $0.02

5. Be patient.
6. Let the good pitching coach you hired coach your kid (not you-unless you are a softball pitcher yourself, or a softball pitching coach).
7. Understand that you will get hit and that's going to happen.
8. Understand that you will get hit hard and that's going to happen.
9. Understand that you will hit batters and that's going to happen.
10. Understand that your teammates will make errors (or non-plays) and that's going to happen.
11. Understand that other parents (especially other pitcher parents) have opinions about how you pitch...let it roll off your back.
12. Do not pitch for conditioning, do conditioning so you can pitch.
13. Work harder than everyone else.
14. Nobody cares, work harder (thank you Cam Hanes for that).

All part of the game.

I have more, but I'm curious to see what others say.
Being patient was something I had to learn the hard way. My expectations for the first six months were ridiculous. Pitching is REALLY hard and you have to sit back and trust the process.

May 10, 2021
Consistent practice is really the key. Work on location, location, location. Find different ways to make it challenging and fun.

My DD pitcher for a mediocre TB team until she was 16YOA. She pitched a lot. Even though she lost a lot of games, she never complained once (seriously...not once) about the poor fielding. She ended up a D1 pitcher, so it worked out OK for her.
Thanks! Any tips on drills or games to keep it fresh?

I keep going to the "if you hit my glove 8 out of 10 times I will buy starbucks.."

May 10, 2021
Consistent practice is really the key. Work on location, location, location. Find different ways to make it challenging and fun.

My DD pitcher for a mediocre TB team until she was 16YOA. She pitched a lot. Even though she lost a lot of games, she never complained once (seriously...not once) about the poor fielding. She ended up a D1 pitcher, so it worked out OK for her.
My DD gave up 3 hits on Sunday and we lost 6-2. She had 5k and 3BB. Some errors really hurt but I am glad she is getting game experience in the circle now at every event we go to. I just need to up my anxiety meds....lol

May 18, 2019
#35. Marry a super athletic spouse.
This worked for me. She's not super athletic but has family that have been college pitchers and one extended family that played in the NFL. Apparently this was a good choice.

Sep 3, 2015
My DD (2022) has pitched since 10u and is now a D1 commit.

Lots of good points here, for my DD she was always on an upward trajectory but not always good times. On a bad team, check, get hit around by better teams, check, lose a lot, check.

DD is not a power pitcher, she’s a movement pitcher. Strikeouts and fly ball kind of pitcher.

-Find a really good pitching coach. No matter how much you read here, you still don’t know.

-Pitch a lot, side work, practice, games

-Pitch more

-develop a movement pitch

-play good teams

-play for the best team you will play on, goal is to be the #1 or #2

-have a decent change up (this will really help at the higher levels)

-be in shape, workout. I cannot stress this enough. Once mechanics are solid, skip the pitching lesson and get in the gym. I made this mistake.

-don’t push too hard or they will hate it

-they are trying their best and want to do well no matter the outcome, so getting upset or harping on bad outings is not productive. Bad outings will happen.

-when she pitches against good teams they will score, hitters are really good. Sometimes they will hit your mistake, and sometimes they just go get your good pitch. So what.

-try and enjoy the ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
My DD (2022) has pitched since 10u and is now a D1 commit.

Lots of good points here, for my DD she was always on an upward trajectory but not always good times. On a bad team, check, get hit around by better teams, check, lose a lot, check.

DD is not a power pitcher, she’s a movement pitcher. Strikeouts and fly ball kind of pitcher.

-Find a really good pitching coach. No matter how much you read here, you still don’t know.

-Pitch a lot, side work, practice, games

-Pitch more

-develop a movement pitch

-play good teams

-play for the best team you will play on, goal is to be the #1 or #2

-have a decent change up (this will really help at the higher levels)

-be in shape, workout. I cannot stress this enough. Once mechanics are solid, skip the pitching lesson and get in the gym. I made this mistake.

-don’t push too hard or they will hate it

-they are trying their best and want to do well no matter the outcome, so getting upset or harping on bad outings is not productive. Bad outings will happen.

-when she pitches against good teams they will score, hitters are really good. Sometimes they will hit your mistake, and sometimes they just go get your good pitch. So what.

-try and enjoy the ride

I could have written this as it is totally aligned with my experience with DD. Everything you said holds true including my having a 2022 D1 committed DD. Great advice here.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13